1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military and gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Candrew, May 27, 2020.

1. Candrew

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,

I’ve been openly gay for about 9 years now and haven’t had any problems in terms of homophobia or anything.

for quite some time I’ve been wanting to join the military, more specifically the Infantry. The reason I haven’t done this sooner is because I have been worried about the field of work and my sexual orientation.

I am worried about homophobia of course but I’m also worried about dating and If I will be able to date anyone in this field.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice, stories or input of any type.

Thank you everyone:slight_smile:

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The military is a lot different than it used to be. There’s always been gay people in the military, let’s be real here. Except know they don’t throw you out for it. I served in the Navy, and while I wasn’t predominately our per se, a lot of people did know and I never had any issues about it. The military is about pulling your weight. I say go for it, if it’s something you really want to do.

3. 1cgd

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My fiancé was 8 years in the military, but closeted the whole time and married to a woman for 5 of those years. He played along with the homophobia, one of his big regrets, but is out to his friends from the Marines and a few of them have since met me. I do think it’s best to serve openly because people will be more careful about the crude anti-gay comments.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like this point. It's also very true about the military.

5. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is true. I was in the navy as a musician. Do you know what Navy musicians do all day? We practice, we rehearse, Polish the instruments. Everyone had to do our part to make sure everything is correct. You made sure for drill you got to your dot, but you help your neighbor too. If somebody was struggling with music, we’d take the time to help them through it. Take care of your shipmates.