1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Met a guy online long-distance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jnr183, Jan 15, 2018.

1. jnr183

A few months ago I was traveling for work. I spotted a guy online who had photos and a profile that just made me melt. It was as if I were to imagine the guy I wanted to be with, it would have been him. I said hello and to my delight, he replied. He wasn't close enough that we could meet face to face, but we chatted and enjoyed a nice conversation. Over the ensuing three months, we chatted on and off- a lot of day-to-day niceties, some flirting, some deeper conversation. I admittedly had a crush on him, but simply kept it in the back of my head as he lives 3,000 miles away. The frequency of our conversations started to drop off a bit so a couple of weeks ago I threw caution to the wind and told him I had a bit of a crush on him and asked if he was interested in a face-to-face online chat. He said he liked me too, and that he'd like to chat, but that he is really looking for the right guy. He's admittedly open to moving, but probably not looking to leave the country he's in (although for whatever it's worth we grew up fairly close to each other).

Anyway, we chatted and seemed to really hit it off. He was as endearing as I thought he'd be and the conversation flowed easily. Following our chat, he seemed to be just as touched as I was as he chatted non-stop for several days. The conversation has dropped off a bit and I'm hesitant to push the issue too much. My honest opinion is that he's pulled back a bit because we're so far away from each other. The problem is, I can't stop thinking of him and what could be. I am fixed geographically for work. Our lives are quite different and this working out seems implausible, but I can't seem to get my mind off of him, which is really getting me down. We talked about meeting, and based on work, geography, time, etc., nothing would really work until I'll be in his area in June. He expressed a lot of interest in meeting, but that's 5 months away.

I know I'm chasing a pipe dream. I understand the dopamine release that these sorts of situations bring about, but I do feel like this is a 'real' connection. When it comes down to it, I would be absolutely ready and willing to go meet him in person, but unfortunately that's not super easy right now. I'm bothered by the fact that I'm letting myself get caught up in this. I've cast a fairly wide net for finding the right guy, but this net is admittedly pretty wide. Logically, I think it would be appropriate to put the whole thing on hold until June. We could meet face to face and go from there. That said, I think about him a lot. The dating scene where I live is somewhat stagnant, so while I look, it's hard to get excited about anybody (hence the wide net).

Any suggestions to deal with the sadness? I'm not really worried about how things will turn out with him- either we'll meet or we won't, but I hate feeling this way.

Addendum: We have interacted on multiple different social media platforms. Based on these, along with other information I know about him, have led me to be as confident as humanly possible that this is not a catfish situation.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might have to just limit your interactions with him, like maybe writing long-form messages every month or so. Also, being single doesn't mean being alone. Try to make time for friends/family nearby, and maybe consider going for some hobby/activity you've been interested in but never attempted. Yes, it may sound like preoccupying your time, but self-development you do now will help you in future relationships. Also, you might try different avenues for dating locally, like getting involved with LGBT volunteer groups or making gay friends who can introduce you to new prospects.

3. mav96213