1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menstrual Cup Advice?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by loveislove01, Jun 18, 2017.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just got my first menstrual cup and I'm a little nervous to try it out. How do I make it fit, how do I clean it, how deep inside does it have to go?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Which menstrual cup do you use? Putting it in can differ between types

My advice here is for DivaCup size 1: (This will probably be the same for size 2, as is just a little bigger)

- Wash your hands
    - Wash the diva cup using unscented soap (or their branded one) with mild/just hot water (if you're having trouble putting it in just hot water helps)
    - Fold the diva cup in half, and then half again so it looks like a 'U' (or 'C')
    - Then squat slightly and hold it horizontally. A diva cup should sit flat, and not up like a tampon
    - Grab the skin outside the vagina, and hold the skin to one side, aim the cup for the blood if you have difficulty finding the vagina
    - Push it in and make sure that the stem is just behind the flap of skin (just inside the vagina). You may need to cut the stem if it is protruding.
    - Then you will need to twist the cup around 360 degrees to make sure it is open. If it's not, then use your finger to push down the vagina wall to help open the cup. Then try to twist again.

It can take up to a couple of cycles to get this right, so keep trying and stay relaxed. If a little bit of blood is coming down, it may still be in right, just remaining from when you took it out.

When taking the diva cup out, I would suggest standing in the bathtub. Sometimes the blood can drop down when coming out, even if it was in fine. It's easier to clean in the bathtub. Just squat and pull it out, pinching on the base of the cup. Tip the blood into the toilet and then wash the rest in the sink with unscented soap (or their branded one). Then dry with tissue paper, and reinsert as above. Make sure to clean the sink and bathtub with sanitizer.

To clean, boil hot water in a kettle. Then put the diva cup in a pot (use this pot for the diva cup only) and pour the water in. Stay with the cup and take out after five minutes. This only needs to be done at the beginning and end of each cycle.

Hope this helps. Please note that this is from the instruction booklet that comes with it. You could contact the specific website if this isn't what you used or look at the instruction manual.

#2 Secrets5, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017