1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melatonin and Zoloft?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alex94, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Hiya. So here's the thing, I have been taking Zoloft 50 mg for about 2-3 weeks now. I have had trouble sleeping over the past 3-4 years and decided to pick up some Melatonin 5 mg to see if it would help me out at all. I haven't found anything saying that their may be a problem with the two together but I want to get as many opinions as possible. So I am wondering if any of y'all have knowledge on situations like this or have been on both of these at the same time. Thanks for your time!
    ~ Acey

2. Melatonin is naturally produced in the body, so that definitely good for you by itself because it helps you sleep. But like usual too much of one thing can be bad. I can't say much for Zoloft because I never took it, and I usually never take any drugs.

3. LD579

I can tell you from experience that this isn't a problem. Even so, your doctor ideally would know of this and would've been the first point of contact. If not, then that may be problematic down the line. Still, though, melatonin is naturally produced in the brain. One pill before you go to bed each night should be fine, and wouldn't interact with the sertraline/Zoloft.

For future reference, as I'm not a doctor and few others are ( :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ), contact your doctor about these concerns as he/she would be able to help you best =)

4. ScatteredEarth

Melatonin has almost no side effects aside from drowsiness, but your body grows a resistance to it quickly. As for zoloft, I know it can't be good to take more than prescribed daily.

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Problematic how?

6. biggayguy

I do know that it can take up to two months for you to feel the full effects of an antidepressant like Zoloft. It has to build up in your system.

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I did a drug interaction generator on the CVS pharmacy site, says their is none...So I should be fine? I mean I will mention it to my doctor that I am taking Melatonin now when I go either Wednesday or Thursday. But for now? I really need sleep... ;-;

8. LD579

It'd be problematic because it's best to get into the habit of telling your doctor these things so that he/she can help you best. Without him/her knowing everything that may be relevant, there could be unfortunate drug interactions (As an example) down the line, or you may not get the appropriate help you need. With that said, melatonin is pretty much harmless in the quantities you'd be taking. It's good you'll be telling your doctor, as well. For other things that aren't melatonin, I'd suggest that you tell your doctor before you start taking them, but, again, melatonin is practically harmless.

9. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Melatonin in large quantities can sometimes reduce the effectiveness of certain SSRIs, but only marginally, and I don't think zoloft is one of them. You should definitely check with your doctor as soon as possible to make sure, but taking 5mg a night wouldn't be harmful or dangerous in any way.

SSRIs have been found to lower melatonin levels in some individuals, especially early on as the body adapts to the change in serotonin levels (melatonin being a metabolite of serotonin), which could explain trouble sleeping - but this usually goes away once the body adjusts.

10. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Okay, thank you everybody. ;3 Appreciate the responses!

11. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

You can also try to contact your local pharmacist if you're worried. Advising people about possibly harmful drug interactions is part of their job.