1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting people while a mess

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cinnamoon, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I really would like to meet new people but I can't do it. On an app I'm too shy to even show what I look like which is stupid. Even if I could show myself I'd still be depressed and anxious.

Today I started meds but I already want to stop. Feel like they're going to make things worse. Just really lost and confused and not okay right now.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cinnamoon.....I understand being shy. When I was younger I would avoid even looking at people...I always walked with my eyes down. I hoped that if I didn't see them they wouldn't notice me, wouldn't talk to me, etc. But I was also sick of being so shy. I decided that when I went away to university I would change and be a different person. So when I checked into my dorm as a freshman, there were three other boys from my high school graduating class! And they were popular - jock type guys! All of my plans got shot down before I even started. What finally broke the curse was theatre. I had a decent voice so I tried out for the chorus in a musical that the university was doing. I got selected and thought "here is my chance to slowly get less shy!" Turned out that my voice was a lot better than I thought and I ended up with some solo parts. From there it was on to minor parts in the next musical and eventually a lead and a major in Vocal Music with a Bachelor's Degree. And my shyness pretty much went away. So for you...is there some small thing that you can get involved in that will let you slowly work past your shyness? Just something to dip your toe into? Maybe it could be some local community theatre or community choir. Just something that gets you into a group of people that will allow you to carefully work your way out of your shyness ever so carefully. Please give it a thought! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I know it is really tough but the way you think your meds is making you feel is probably mainly because you have yourself so worked up about everything. Most medication of that sort (although I cant speak for sure about what you are on) takes a longer period of having it before it has a real impact on you.

As far as meeting people my advice would be to try and make friends if you are struggling so much with apps etc. With friendships there is less pressure about appearance etc. Perhaps join and LGBT group or do some volunteering or something.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  4. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I think there are some local theatre and acting groups near me, I could always give them a try. I used to do something similar as a kid but quit due to anxiety, but there's nothing stopping me joining anything again now though.

Thank you for your reply too =) That's true. So many worries about the meds - becoming emotionally numb, etc. But I have a call with a mental health person on Tuesday so I can maybe mention my worries to them then. I'm also worried about them affecting my job etc but again I can talk to the person when I have that call.

That's true about making friends, that is something I could try. I wish I had the confidence to be a bit more outgoing on apps etc because it's much easier doing things that way as an introvert, but I could always have a look around at some different volunteering or group options.

I'm just feeling quite negative right now for lots of personal reasons but I know I have to keep going.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I have that very same issue of being shy and I also have low self esteem. It's really hard to meet people and make new connections and find a partner this way. I have been trying to push myself out of my comfort zone and just go for it, but it is hard.

It's not stupid being afraid showing how you look like. I'm also apprehensive on showing how I look like on an app, what sucks, because most dating sites require a picture.

Maybe these meds just aren't the right ones? When I first started taking my anxiety medication, then it made me feel like my brain was being squashed and it gave me painful stomach ache. Turned out I needed to lower dosage and then it actually helped, without causing pain. In some depression and anxiety medications it also takes time for them to start having an effect at least 2 or more weeks. Definitely let your therapist or doctor know if they don't work or have any side effects.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  6. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you struggle with similar issues :frowning2: It's so hard. Not even because I'm especially wary of what I look like, it's more because I'm a private introverted person and I don't want my photos just out there for everyone to see. Plus it's hard to trust online. I need to get to know people slowly etc but I worry I'm in such a state that I'll put myself out there, photos and all, and then just mess everything up. It's hard to actually change anything feeling like this.

Sometimes I wish sites would allow some chatting first, with no expectations. For things to move slower and be based more around interests and becoming friends first etc. I know that's not a very popular idea though.

I'm not sure if they're right or not. I've only been on them two days. I really do want to stop though. Not sure what I'm going to do about it.

7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same. It would be good if you could share your picture with people you have chatted with and somewhat trust them enough to do it. I would be comfortable with it this way too. I have a few pictures of me in my social media though, but that's about it. I added them there because of peer pressure, otherwise I would've never done it.

I would advice to give the medication a few more days and if you really feel that they don't work or do not wish to continue taking them, then do talk about it, with the doctor who prescribed them.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  8. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would. I think there are apps like that, maybe I'll need to have a look into them. But for some reason not many people seem to understand the particular type of anxiety I get when it comes to dating and friendship apps. To me they're absolutely terrifying.

Thank you :slight_smile: I'll try to give it a few more days maybe. I don't like being on them at all like I said and I still think I'd like to quit but I should consider continuing them at least. I guess they were prescribed to me for a reason.

Rayland likes this.
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it is definitely good to talk through your worries with the mental health person thats what they are there for and they will be able to reassure you I am sure. Just take it a day at a time, things will get better.

Rayland and Cinnamoon like this.
  10. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you :slight_smile: I'm really trying. Been on meds for three days but thinking of stopping so I can focus more on behavioural changes etc. Keeping lists to help with basic daily tasks while I'm depressed really helps for example. And keeping a tidy environment, getting some light exercise, eating healthily and talking things through I think would be more helpful for me personally than meds. There are a few difficult personal things going on for me at the moment, I'm not sure how to deal with things sometimes especially involving other people, but I'm trying my best.

Rayland likes this.
  11. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cinnamoon.....Please give the meds some time to be effective. I've had to deal with a lot of pain in my life. I've had 22 major surgeries...7 of them spinal surgeries. Years of trying to handle pain plus more years of trying to pretend that I was straight left me with pretty severe depression. :old_frown: When I started taking meds for depression, it took several months for everything to really have significant effects. Part of that was having to try three different medications before we found the one that worked the best. It might not take that long for you, everybody is different...but it will take at least a week or two. Depression meds can make a very big difference, but they are not magic and do take a while to become effective. It's also one of those things that kind of "sneaks up on you". One day, after several weeks taking the medication, you will suddenly realize that you do feel better and just hadn't noticed it. :old_smile: At least that's what happened to me and several other people that I know. I've never had any problem with becoming "emotionally numb" as you put it. I would guess if that or anything like it happened then you would need to change to a different medication. The other half of dealing with depression is finding a good therapist. The combination of meds with a therapist is the best way to work though depression. I know that finding a therapist that works with the LGBTQ Community was one of the best decisions that I've ever made. :old_big_grin: Please give that some serious consideration!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Cinnamoon and Rayland like this.
  12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand why you might feel that way but why cant you do both. It doesnt mean you cant keep on the meds and also do the other things you have mentioned.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  13. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you to both of you for replying. That's true silverhalo, I guess just because I'm taking meds it doesn't mean I have to stop trying other things alongside them. And quebec, I'm sorry you had to go through so much. It does help hearing other people's experiences like your own though. And I would really love a LGBTQ+ friendly therapist.

I think money is a concern for me, as I'm only working part time at the moment, and I hear horror stories about the meds. How prozac is very strong, people have brain zaps coming off of them, how it leads to problematic behaviour, car accidents, psychosis etc. So maybe my anxiety is stopping me from really giving them a proper try.

I was bad, I didn't take my fourth dose today because I was planning to stop. I want to try continuing tomorrow but I know I shouldn't mess with them too much like this. I just find it so hard and scary putting myself through this process.

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you not have a doctor or nurse you can contact about your concerns over the meds?

Cinnamoon likes this.
  15. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do, both, and I have an appointment booked with a nurse in just under 2 weeks. I just feel very anxious about the whole thing, probably more than I should.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you just phone up and talk to someone if you really need to?

The horror stories you were talking about, are these things you have read online?

17. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I really need to I can. It's just hard because ultimately the decision is mine.

They are. I have concerns and the nurse has already talked me through some of them but relying on medication like this kind of freaks me out. I know I feel low off the medication but I can still function so I'm just not sure how I'm feeling about this.

But I guess if I get really concerned I can call my GP surgery and ask to speak to someone.

18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you had been diagnosed with diabetes, would you have an issue with taking the medication for that?

I think you are almost setting yourself up to fail by not talking the pills as prescribed, of course as you say it is up to you but surely it is worth giving them a go before stopping taking them.

19. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true. Because it's psychological, I find it hard to know where my depression ends and I begin if that makes sense. I find myself doubting if I even do have depression. But I've been honest with the nurse and she and the doctor thought I needed these. So you're right I should give them a try. I just really worry they will make things worse at a time when I should be setting up my life after university. I guess I just overthink and stress myself out before anything even has the chance to go wrong.

20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that is often the case with mental illness so you are definitely not alone.

I actually think you saying that you dont know where your depression ends and you begin and I think that is the issue. Your depression is almost dictating to you 'why bother', it'll never work' etc etc, but if the nurse and the doctor think you need them then they are the experts and so I think you should try and trust them.

Cinnamoon likes this.