1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married, Gay and Lost

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by tom100, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tom!

I tend to be more interested in my bed-fellow as a person rather than a gender - for me, as a twice-married man, I had no problem being passionate because I loved the person, not their gender.

That didn't mean, though, that I preferred my own gender in my private thoughts and fantasies.

I agree with the others that you should keep this bolt-hole wife-free. You need somewhere to call your own where you will not be judged or rejected.

My second wife, too, tried to prove I wasn't gay, but I didn't go in for that. Nobody knows me better than myself and I KNEW - I wasn't questioning or confused. The difficulty lay in the consequences rather than the self-knowledge.

I read in your words that you are desperate not to hurt your wife, that she has done nothing to deserve what is happening to her now, and that you are feeling incredibly guilty.

I have no words to offer that will reduce that pain, other than to reassure you that it IS possible and LIKELY that you will come out the other side of this tunnel but the only way you can do that is with honesty. It is not fair to you or your wife to continue deceiving yourselves - it will only prolong the pain and anguish, which will serve neither of you well.

(&&&)

2. tom100

Thanks a lot guys for your posts. Good to read as always.

My own feeling also was that it was reasonable to have some parts of your life that are private - as long of course that they are not damaging to the relationship. So it's good to see it reinforced by your thoughts. Although I did bring up the subject of this forum and how it had been a lifeline for me, I didn't actually say what it was, so unless the thumb screws come out hopefully it can stay private. As you say, it would seriously affect posting my thoughts if I had to second guess how she might react to certain things. Maybe later, when things have moved on, I would be happy to for her to read all this.

She tried reading posts on another forum for wives with gay husbands and it freaked her out. There seems to be some rather crazy men out there. So maybe the cut and paste idea would be a good one. Show here her we're not crazy here!

Still having good days and really crappy days. We were out shopping on Monday and in one shop were served by a really cute guy. In our new age of more openness, I guess I felt I had more freedom to admire, but was later accused of 'eying him up'. That was a surprise, I honestly didn't think I'd done anything that obvious. Anyhow, it led on to a whole lot of emotion, tears and accusations. God these stages are tough. I'm sure my soul is bleeding for causing and being the centre of all this pain.

We worked through it though and are good again.

Maxx: yes, you're right. BM would be a step too far for now. I think Monday's incident proved that. Haven't commented when watching the Olympics yet, but will do. Phew... Tom Daley....

Chip: I feel in my bones you are right - and echoed by 55. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet.

Bobbgooduk. Thanks a lot. Yup, it's quite a journey - with lots of tunnels!

3. Chrissouth53

Brokeback Mountain? Not unless she suggests it.

Knowing about EC? My feeling is right now you have to be absolutely open and honest with her. You can tell her about EC and maybe tell her that you are just asking for advice but hiding it just creates an atmosphere of "what else is he hiding".

My wife says that the wives of bi and gay husbands forum in yahoo is certainly an anti-gay group. There's Making Mixed Orientation Marriages Work and Alternative Path groups on Yahoo that are more pro-marriage. My wife belongs to ll three to get both sides of the issues.

As for sex with your wife, some people call it "one woman away from gay". If it wasn't for your wife, you would be exclusively gay. But if you never had sex with a guy, I'm not sure you fall into that category (yet).

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tom, I think part of what's happening with your wife, for example, in the store where you saw the cute guy is it's getting out of the theoretical and into the real, and that's always very, very different. People can talk about and acknowledge something, but it still isn't "real" until they are in the place of actually seeing it happen.

In this case, she probably saw a light or connection in your eyes that she hadn't seen toward another woman (perhaps even toward her)... and that had to hurt. Even though she knows it isn't anything deficient in her, it still hurts. That's where you go from the denial into the anger.

It's definitely an up-and-down, and that will probably be the case for a while. But do your best to stay engaged in communication, because that's the best way of working through the situation.

One other book I might suggest is "Just Listen" by Mark Goulston, MD. It's a really revolutionary book on communication styles that explains why arguments and lack of communication occur, and how to get back on track. It may be really helpful as she goes through this process.

5. tom100

Thanks Chip - I've downloaded a copy of Just Listen from Amazon, so will have a read.

I have come to a few realisations in the last few days:

1. I am beginning to forgive myself. There's been no big eureka moment, but just a growing awareness that I'm ok. I hadn't really understood how much inner turmoil and disapproval there was going on inside my head.
    2. There was a lot of resentment towards my wife - in the time before the big day - and that has gone. Which no doubt is a big part of why our relationship is for the moment so much better.
    3. I have come to depend on EC. If I'm not on here for a few days I really miss it. The contact, support and friendship is very important to me right now.

So there are some positive aspects of taking that big step (ok, maybe the last one doesn't belong in this list, but, hey, it's important to me).

(Should we start a new thread for this topic perhaps? Might be good for those guys still in turmoil if we all highlighted some of good things to result from this.)

Tom

6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get the sense that you don't feel quite so lost - you may still be frightened and a little confused, but you're finding your way and therefore no longer lost. (*hug*)

7. tom100

Hah! Yes, you're right. So I should start a new thread then as this title has had it's day!

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2012 at 02:15 PM ----------

... and do you know what? The realisation that I have reached a stage where this thread has done its job is a cause for celebration.

So I'm really pleased you pointed that out. Thanks.

8. 55

Congratulations on your growth! It does feel great doesn't it? :eusa_clap

I know exactly what you mean about missing EC if you can't get to it for awhile!

Once you become a full member (50 posts + approval), I hope you'll become a part of a group of us in your situation who PM eachother. We've been able to really open up the communication between us and have become like brothers! It's awesome!

(&&&)

9. tom100

Hi 55,
    I look forward to doing just that. Heck, I'm only at 29 posts so far though!

10. bwhopper

bwhopper Guest

You aren't alone in your situation and others are benefiting from the conversation. So thanks for the openness and for sharing.

11. 55

You'll get there. Don't go crazy, but say hello and write a quick note to a few of the newbies. Make them sincere, though, I don't think racking up 21 that way would sit well with the moderators who grant the full membership. It's probably better to find some threads where you think you can offer advice and/or support and get them that way. Your input and experience may be very valuable to a wide varitey of members. You'll be surprised how much great advice you have to offer!

12. solost44

solost44 Guest

55 is absolutely right. I myself have benefitted from the posts from you, 55, Maxx and countless others.

13. tom100

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. Through all this turmoil, I would be very happy to know I was helping someone else, even just a little, to cope with the anguish and pain of dealing with this life changing decision.

For me it's been a roller coaster 24 hours of more anguish, tears and questioning. Oh, so many questions... As a typical male (ok nearly), I'm used to fixing things and it's tough not having the answers.

For my wife, two things seem to be big sticking points at the moment;
    'If you haven't tried it (gay sex that is), how do you know you can be fulfilled in a straight marriage?' And related to that; 'As a gay man, how do you still seem to enjoy having sex with me?'

Chip and 55's input I guess is relevant here: the analogy of HiFi music compared to the tiny sound of one small speaker. If you haven't heard the former, you can be happy with the latter. There's also a clear Catch 22 here; remaining faithful helps a hell of a lot in the early days, but later you can't answer this question!

And then there's this one:
    'I now have to live with the time bomb that one day you'll meet some guy and decide this marriage is not what you want after all.'

I don't really see that that is any different to any marriage (interchange guy/girl) - except in how it relates to the first issue above.

So I think these both really elude to a fear that I am 'going to wonder', which I can understand. And I can see from this how most MOM's that succeed are ones where the gay spouse is permitted to have a side relationship. I've said before that I don't feel comfortable with that and my wife certainly doesn't. But maybe with time we will both soften to that idea. Don't know. It would certainly take away these particular fears.

However, I've read recently about MOM's being successful so long as the compromises reached are balanced between both spouses and that there is still sufficient satisfaction in all or some of these in order to make it worthwhile: good sex life, lots of love, openness, honesty, communication, understanding. Still so much to learn.....

Whatever happens, it will need time. Trouble is we are both impatient soles, used to fixing problems swiftly, so that's hard to start with!

Tom

14. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really admire your stamina, Tom.

Your wife obviously means a great deal to you and I can see you struggling to keep everything under control.

I think her questions are resonable, as do you, but I'm not sure if I would have had answers either.

I split with my wife in the end because she wanted children and I knew I didn't "like" her enough as a person (not love) to be able to say 100% that I would be able to stay with her for as long as our children would need me. As the child of a broken home, I was adamant in my mind that I would never leave my children as my mother had left me.

I loved my wife, but the more I got to know her, or perhaps we both changed a bit, the less I liked her. I'm not sure that makes sense, but it did at the time.

I read the article about MOM too and could identify with some of it. I know myself too well to say that I would have found it impossible to be curious and not to act upon it, but to a degree, I had gay experience BEFORE I got married, so I knew what was involved. I should add also that my wife knew of my past - it wasn't a secret.

Good luck with your deliberations. :thumbsup:

15. tom100

Thanks.

A calm period for now. Haven't come up with any earth shattering ideas, but there seems to be some slow accepting going on. Right now, my wife is happier than she has been for a long time. Not so sure about me though.

A 'long and winding road' perhaps?

16. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're in a state of shock - it will take time for you to feel anywhere approaching normal.(*hug*)

17. tom100

Yeah Bob, maybe you're right.

Have just been out for a walk with the dog through the woods and been mulling it over, and here's what I've been thinking.

The last few days I've been a bit down, kind of heavy hearted, and I can't put my finger on the reason why.

After the first few days of utter turmoil, I felt quite euphoric at times, a sense of release. I wanted to run down the street waving my arms about and shouting, 'Hey world, I've just come out as gay!'. Never happened of course and as far as I can see it never will. Maybe that's part of it.

Looking back, I can also see that in amongst all the pain and anguish, there was also some excitement. This was something new, something interesting. I know our marriage had drifted into a state of taking things for granted, a bit boring too. So in a way I needed the excitement. We both did actually. Is that what all this is about perhaps? If so, I should just take up parachuting or hang gliding!

I'm not questioning my sexuality here, I know I am gay and am happy with that, but for me at least, the excitement aspect seems to be part of this story.

There are so many layers to this. Life is amazing really, so much to learn. I do think that this is another positive aspect of taking the step to come out to your wife: you do move on to a deeper level of understanding of life and of each other. And that is very rewarding. I have always been a proponent of making changes and facing challenges in life, it is a way to grow as a person. And this sure is another challenge.

All very philosophical, but good to get down in writing. I think I'll take up the journal writing idea - especially as I can't always remember what I was thinking by the time the dog and I get home!

Tom

18. jimL

Hi Tom, I just read through most of your thread. Sorry I haven't responded till now but I've been kind of out of it for a while.

OMG, your first post was a description of my situation. I'm 57 and have been married for 23 years but don't have any children. I knew I was gay when I was 14 years old but pushed all those thoughts under the carpet. I was raised a Catholic in a society that said no way to homosexuality. So I lived my life like I was told I should, just wanting to fit in. Then a year and a half ago I met a 20 year old college student. One of the most gorgeous young, blond hair, blue eyed guys I've ever seen and very openly gay. I spent some time with him and we eventually had some sexual contact. We have continued to see each other occasionally not just for sex but for the friendship. He told me for some reason he is very attracted to older men, and I have always been attracted to younger guys. I had been with a few guys over the years (not many) but never had a relationship with one. Well, need I say, he rocked my world. He is the reason that I came out to my wife, family, friends and co-workers. It has been a very difficult time in the last year and a half but one that I am very happy happened. I am still trying to figure out what I will do....I'm still with my wife, which I love very much. It just takes time to process all this new stuff as you know. But I will tell you one thing, I feel better than I have every felt in my life. I''m so glad he came into my life. So I know others have given you lots of good advice and I don't have much to add to all of that. I just wanted to tell you a little bit about me so you know there are others out there are in the same boat as you are. It's such a struggle but in the long run will all be worth the pain.

#58 jimL, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  19. tom100

Jim, Hi - good to hear from you. And, wow, so similar experiences.

I felt quite emotional reading your post actually, as my (limited) involvement with my 22yo friend is something I still struggle with. I haven't talked about it recently, simply because I find it difficult to do so. I feel kind of stupid really, no, very stupid, (what feels like) falling in love with someone so much younger. It's crazy. I'm old enough to be his father for Christ sake. It's also hellish complicated; he lives next door and helps out with work on some days, so is around quite a bit. During heated discussions with my wife since coming out, she has brought up the 'attraction that exists' between us (omg, so it's not just me then?), so she is very sensitive to any contact I might have and the whole situation and how to deal with it is very volatile. I'm pretty certain (and my wife is too) that he is gay, but have not managed to get him to open up about it. Although I am trying hard to remain faithful and honest with my wife, I would so desperately like to be closer to this guy - even just for some comfort during this time (though I also don't want to use him or make his life complicated.), but I really have no idea how to do that. For sure there is a connection between us, but the old demon of low self worth always creeps in; he can't really be interested in me, surely? So nothing happens. His close involvement with us both and the close-knit community we live in, makes it a very risky thing to do too. But some days I just ache to hold him. So pathetic...

For the moment, I really can't process the realisation of the love I have for my wife and the different, but also very strong feels I have for my 22yo friend. So thanks for sharing your story, it helps a lot.

It's a mad world.

Tom

20. tom100

After some pretty good days overall, last night was horrible.

But before I go on to that, I have been going through a phase it seems of being very emotional and cried a lot. (I know Maxx commented on the same thing.) I get intense feelings of guilt and then self-pity. Pretty shit really.

Anyhow, back to last night. My wife had been researching on the net and come up with a whole lot of stuff looking at problems in early childhood (< 5yrs) which causes big problems with self-esteem and that can then lead to homosexuality in some people. Tends to be the sensitive type, the loner, not keen on contact sports etc. All of which fits with me of course. We were discussing this stuff when it became clear that she thought I 'felt I was gay' but was unhappy about it. Not sure how that happened. So when I explained, no, I know how I am and am comfortable with that, all hell broke loose. Yeah, ok I know I am not good at explaining things and that didn't help. I have always said I didn't ask to be gay, didn't want my life to turn out like this and that I am unhappy at causing all the pain. The subtlety of me coming to accept myself and be happy with that part of it must have got lost somewhere.

So we are now dealing with her feelings of anguish and an overwhelming feeling of being rejected. How do I deal with that?

It's also clear to me now that she really hasn't come to terms with me being gay and is resisting any move on my part to explore it or have any gay contact. Sigh.

So not sure we've made any real progress yet.

Still lost,
    Tom