1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage and Name Changing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Motto, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I was wondering what people thought about changing their names if they got married to their partner or civilly united or whatever.

Would you take your partner's name?
    Would you want them to take yours?
    Would you pick out some new name or hyphenate?
    Would you keep your own last names?

I have always thought the name changing to be romantic and significant to me personally. I would want to share a name with the one I settled down with. Am I heteronormative here?

What are your thoughts on changing last names?

2. Minamimoto_Fan

I would like to take his, mostly because I hate my last name being a first name. I'm not opposed to hyphenate or pick a new name for ourselves though.

It really depends on who I marry.

If I end up marrying my boyfriend (which would be awesome but it's a little early to be talking about that) I wouldn't have to change my initials no matter what we do

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't mind hyphenating, as long as the sound was smooth and pleasant. My names fit each other well, and I wouldn't want a verbally obstructive name to make it difficult.

Or perhaps I'd keep my name as it is (but I'd be glad to share a name), but any children would have a shared name.

4. timo

I've always thought the name changing is ridiculous and an indication of society saying men are better and more important than women.

5. DMark69

My husband and I choose to keep our original names. Of course our state doesn't yet recognize our marriage, so it would have been interesting changing things based on a document they don't recognize.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we're going to keep our last names. If I changed mine, I'd have a pretty generic last name, and if he changed his, he'd be a half-Irish, half-Canadian with an Italian last name.

7. Foster

I love my last name so I would want to keep it. I actually wouldn't change my name under any circumstances. The person I'm with could keep their own name too though.

8. Bolin

It depends on his name. If it sounds cooler than mine (yes, shallow, I know), then I'm taking his, or at least hyphenating mine. Or if he wants mine (and his last name isn't cooler than mine xD), then we can both have mine. I'm not doing the separate names thing, though. Too impersonal for me.

9. English Frenchman

Although I try and attribute very little importance to my background, for various reasons, I’m not going to completely ignore it.
    My last name is a very old one and I wear it with (hidden) pride. I’m not going to abandon centuries of history in one name, for my partners. Either she/he will have to hyphenate or will have to take my name. Or we keep our respective names. But I’m not giving mine up.

10. Nikky DoUrden

I wouldn't mind changing mine, I even want to.
    My current one has bad memories for me

11. photoguy93

I don't know.....I might do something. It's always so difficult when I send Christmas cards to people who don't have the same last name. Who gets precedent? Do I take up the whole envelope? It's so nice writing "The _____ Family."

Seriously, though...I might hyphenate if need be. I have a nice nice, it's just not one that sounds well with others.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends if I who I marry...

If I marry a guy I'll take his name..."I'm Mrs So-and-so..." I don't know it feels nice to think about...

If I marry a girl...who knows...perhaps we'll make up a knew one!

13. Tzoa

I'm really not fond of my current last name. I've been considering changing it to my mom's maiden name, or perhaps my grandma's maiden name. As to whether I change my last name to my partner's when we marry, it really depends on their last name. If it sounds right with my first and middle name, I'll consider it. I won't expect them to change their name to mine, and I hope they wouldn't expect me to change my name, either.

14. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I ever get married (which I'm not sure I will), I plan on keeping my last name, and if the other guy wants to change his last name to mine then I won't stop him, but it's not something I necessarily want/expect out of him.

15. Hexagon

I'd take my partner's name, since I don't like mine. I certainly don't want to hyphenate. If they want to take my name, then we can just go find a new one. In general, I'm opposed to the heteronormative ideal of a woman taking her husband's name. I think a fair mix, hyphenation or keeping their own is best.

This is, of course, all academic. I'm not sure I'd want to marry anyway.

16. Beware Of You

I have no plan to get married lol

17. Shadows123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really care if who I married changed their last name but I'll probably add their last name to my middle name.

18. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really dislike my last name so I would definitely want to change it. I wouldn't be opposed to creating a new last name either

19. i think i would keep my own name, she could change hers if she wanted to but it wouldnt be a big deal. if we ever had kids i would like us to hyphenate childs surname.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know no one would ever do it, but I've always said people should amalgamate their last names when they get married. Create a new one using the two of 'em. :lol: