1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own clothes / artsy-alternative fashion

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GoBabyGoGo, Sep 27, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

anyone here make their own clothes? or just dress differently, even outrageously?

My art teacher has the best fashion sense!!! She always looks stunning and wears the most interesting stuff. Gumboots, layers of homemade sweaters with all sorts of different materials sewn in, fur, all sorts of bracelets, belts etc.

I WANT STYLE!!! (lol, stereotype much)

But really, i think it would be such a cool hobby. Im sick of wearing commercial mass produced crap and walking around a shopping centre and seeing people with exactly the same clothes. I want to express my individuality!

So im going to start soon. Ill buy stuff from op shops and try to learn to sew and make small alterations. But damn, im such a noob!

Being a guy its a bit harder. And i definitely don't want to look like a drag (no offense). But im inspired by musicians Patrick Wolf and Chris Corner (IAMX). I love how Wolf just wears what ever he feels like, lots of coloured ribbons, short shorts, etc. And fitted clothes that really accentuate his slim figure. Omg, he is soooooo sexy.

Attached Files:

2. musican

I want to design my own t-shirts and hoodies because I think that would be amazing. I like being able to change the way that I look because I like being different, but at the same time, I don't want to look bad, lol. I've been thinking about dying my hair and piercing my ears for a while... I'm too scared to dye my hair and have it look bad and I don't think there are enough cool earrings for guys xD

3. GoBabyGoGo

yeah lol i dont like piercings on guys at all. even the ears. but yeah you should totally experiment with your hair!!! cut it, dye it whatever, it grows back! or you could just use temporary dye to see how it looks.

and so what if you look 'bad'. i actually dont think its possible, unless you yourself dont like it. you can just look different and if you wear whatever you wear with confidence, youll pull it off. but if you really didnt like a certain look then youll learn from it. but keep experimenting cos thats how you discover really cool things!!!! :grin:

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I want too, but I don't know where to begin.

But I don't even know "how" to create what I envision.

I should find a fashion designer boyfriend... that shouldn't be too hard in that profession. I'll just give him my ideas, and he'll work on it for me.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Its easy say.. just find a plain t - shirt, and add stuff for example , Iron on badges, theres this site where you can design your own clothing and buy it - www.Spreadshirt.com
    I'm going to customize my own clothing, when I have the time. I've designed my own t shirts but just on computer, I want to become a designer one day.. but I give up too easy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

----------

Do it =] , at first i hesitated to dye my hair incase it looked bad but when I dyed it I think I was pleased anyway.. you'll never know until you try it right? and piercings.. theres a lot of different types.. like me I've got fake ear plugs and diamond earings
    [ fake of course ], you just have too look for them :]

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    my fashion ideas are more than a t-shirt (I haven't worn one of those since 5th grade), all of my clothing are polos.

it's like intricate high fashion kind of stuff, without being high fashion but just being complicated.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

High Fashion... too complicated for me lol

8. shimmersky

<brag> I do costuming and fashion design locally, and so far I've had two runway shows feature my work! </brag>

<advice> Start from the beginning. Find a simple-to-use domestic sewing machine, learn how to use it, and make simple alterations on your clothing. Find someone who knows how to sew (maybe a parent, teacher, grandparent, or friend), or, if you don't know anyone who knows how, use online tutorials like these: http://diyfashion.about.com/od/mendingandalterations/Mending_and_Alterations.htm. Once you get good at altering, and just observing how your favorite pieces of clothing are made, you can start making completely new clothing out of old clothing (i.e. cutting up T-shirts and turning them into underwear or skirts or purses or whatever). Then, once you're good at transforming clothing, you're at the stage where you can start making clothing completely from scratch. Some people like to buy patterns at a fabric store to do this, other people like to make their own patterns with paper using their own measurements, and some people don't use patterns at all. You'll figure out what works best for you. Here's a website that has a bunch of tutorials and projects and patterns: http://www.freeneedle.com/. And this website has a lot of useful technique information: http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=734. Good luck! And have FUN with it. Fashion is self-expression! </advice>

9. GhostDog

^ Omg, that's really helpful! =D Thanks!

I want to learn to alter (or make!) my own clothes. I'm rather, uh, gifted in the chest area, which makes finding shirts that both fit and flatter me a huge pain in the ass!

I've done some screen printing on clothes though, which is amazing fun. <3