1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making new friends

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dano218, Apr 2, 2019.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 28 years old and living in reasonably bigger city with a decent population of LGBT people. I try get to get involved in lgbt friendly activities and have established connections with lgbt people and allies but as much as I appreciate all the friendships I have developed with people they tend to be all older people. Its very hard to just go out and make new friends with people your own age who are not just lgbt but even allies of the community because in a reasonably smaller city.

I would talk to some people who live in the same area i know of from high school and are supportive of gay people but how do you ask somebody to potentially connect with you without sounding like a total creep. Its not like I expect to get along with someone just because they may support me as a gay person but I would like to at least try to gain more friendships in my life.

#1 dano218, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    johndeere3020 likes this.
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mainly just talk to people about random topics until finding one we have in common, and at some point after talking about that for a while ask if they'd want to meet up again sometime and exchange contact information. Casual conversation can form friendships just as well as carefully thought out plans.

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand how hard it is in the smaller towns. There still can be a lot of judge mental people and sometimes its hard to know who to trust. I always feel awkward talking to new people.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is always my problem. I will think in my head I want to make new friends and be social and than I meet them in person and freeze up. I do get used to people after awhile but people have to understand not to take my shyness/awkwardness personally but people tend to take personally I noticed.