1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making A Computer Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Aielar, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Aielar

I'm doing a scavenger hunt, and one of the items is to make a simple two player computer game. Anyone have any free programs they can recommend for this kind of thing? My preference that it would be as basic and straightforward as possible, and have some tic tac toe game tutorials online somewhere. Thanks!

2. kresukun

Game Maker, but get the free version ofc.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you are a wunderkind programmer, even the simplest 2-player game is many hours worth of work X.X

I can vouch for the fact that there are tutorials out there for games like Battleship, tic-tac-toe, etc.

4. wity

Your best option is to use a program that goes on levels higher than java and c++, because using raw language can take a while

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2013 at 12:06 AM ----------

If you have to use a raw programming language, I may be able to help with some basis you can play around with for c++

5. Wells

Wells Guest

I don't know. But it sounds cool and good luck with it :grin:

6. SlickyPants

What kind of wild scavenger hunt is this?!

I don't know anything about programming but when I was young buck I wrote a quiz program in BASIC that asked the user a series of multiple choice questions and told them if they got it right depending on their choice. It didn't take long at all. Just add support for two players and a couple of variables for keeping score and you've got yourself a simple multiplayer game!

I'd post the source code but it's stored on a cassette tape in a box somewhere and I have forgotten just about everything I learned when I was a kid about BASIC except for maybe how to print Hello World on screen.

Good luck with your scavenger hunt. I wonder if playing catch by tossing a computer back and forth with a buddy would qualify as a "simple two player computer game."

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one would be very much easier than the other kinds of games mentioned. It would simply use a beginning-to-end process then tell you your score once the game is over. Optionally it could tell you right or wrong for added suspense after each question, and it could even wait until both players have entered their answers to give out the right one.

I'm a bit removed from programming so don't remember ALL the details, but that's something I could whip up fairly quickly while in practice.

8. NEWFrontiers22

9. Joanne

Cryengine 3 is free for non commercial use

10. poppy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unreal engine

Unity
    There's loads of free game engines

11. Praetor

C++ and Java are good starter languages for programming, but even then it can take some time.

If you are allowed to do an online game, you could also do a simple HTML or HTML/PHP game. Or even Javascript.

Engines for games range from simpler ones like Game Maker or Adventure Game Studio to complex 3D-applicable engines like Unreal.

In any case as other people may have pointed out, a 2-person quiz would probably be pretty simple, although there are even simpler games than that. You could just make a game which sees who presses a key on the keyboard first, whoever does wins the game. It depends what you want.

I don't know the rules to your scavenger hunt, so I don't know how much help you're allowed. I can certainly help teach, if not send you files I've already worked on long ago.

Good luck!

12. Kenny207

If you have no experience in C++ or Java, I would say that game-maker is probably the easiest and straightforward to use. It really shouldn't be so hard if you use game-maker. If you're decent at java or C++ , try using netbeans? haha that's what I used.

13. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    Disregard everything everyone else suggested. Make a game in scratch, it'll take like 10 minutes and its free.

Scratch.mit.edu