1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Lula wins brazilian election against homophobe Bolsonaro

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chiroptera, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm shaking with excitement. Today, we've finally kicked a fascist's butt here in Brazil! The homophobe, racist and fascist Bolsonaro just lost!

This is a HUGE thing for LGBT+ people in Brazil!

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's such a relief - not just for Brazil, but for the whole world.

Hopefully Lula will stop the illegal devastation of the Amazon rainforest. If we lose that, our species is over.

Beth

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was so happy to read this too! Congrats Chiroptera and all the other happy peeps :slight_smile:

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never liked Bolsonaro from the vibe I got from him and his chumminess with Trump. I just read his bio and there was a good reason not to like him.

I wish that Lula, the new president - who has been Brazil's president before - remains in good health and does good things for your nation.

The rise of nationalistic leaders, like Hungary's Orban, has been disturbing and that doesn't even include the dictators that are still in power.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. Hoping for the best here!

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's such a story, which I don't know much and maybe wrong, with him being wrongly jailed and released and then winning election again! Why do you think so many people voted for the homophobe? It's so sad we have a lot of people like that in the states too. I thought by now hating on minorities would be very fringe and be a huge disqualifier. I thought pussy grabbing would have disqualified our last one too, but nope.

Is there a progressive majority in legislature so they can get good things done for the people?

7. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Because of the decline of the importance of class in politics.

Bolsanaro, like Trump, like Johnson and the rest of the right wing extremists use issues of identity to fool many many working class voters to vote against their own economic interests.

What's the answer? One word: education.

Beth

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing that scares me is the ever-growing tendency of claiming that the other side cheated any time that you loose. Mr. Trump has obviously done that, I've heard that Mr. Bolsonaro is starting to do it also. It's hard to have a fair election when one side declares before the election that it's rigged if they loose.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#8 quebec, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  9. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That's great news!

10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, how can we help with this? Some would think you're saying working class are uneducated and get mad and dig in their heels, do the opposite for spite. They target LGBTQ to say the left cares more about us than workers. I thought education was something that most families wanted for the next generation but maybe that was never true of most or it's a US thing. Seems like education is ridiculed now, what a waste of time/money and it's just for the snobby elites, not the tough, blue collar, hard working, real (insert country)! They're mocking smart people while posting it on their phone, brought to them by all the people who invented it all. They reject vaccines and precautions for covid and other inoculations that have reduced so much suffering, yet will desperately seek the latest medical cure if they get cancer or some other scientific discovery they want. They need mental health help but reject that as snowflake, liberal, sissy bs. How can they be helped?

It is horrible how they have been pushing the big lies about cheating/fraud and all that. Truth is that they're the ones who have done the most election fraud. Classic projection of what they actually do. One side keeps passing laws to make it harder to vote, especially minorities, and impossible to have proportional representation to the number of votes cast for each party. The election can be as secure accurate as ever, like 2020 was shown to be, but the one group still tells all the lies before and after the election. He said it before the 2016 election, that if he lost it was rigged. He won and still claimed there were millions of fraudulent votes bc he lost the popular vote. These are the ones who keep fighting against our basic rights as people, especially minorities of all kinds, with their authoritarian demand for conformity. All of this anti-democracy/equality/liberty is scary for sure.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The news from Brazil in the last day or so is horrible. Bolsonaro's supporters cannot accept defeat. There have been violent rioters at the major government headquarters and presidential palace in Brazil's capital like the ones that happened at the Capitol in Washington DC on January 6, 2021. It now looks like that event set a very bad example for right wing nationalistic zealots all over the world.

12. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The peaceful transition of power is a rare achievement in human history and not many societies have been capable of it. What just happened in Brazil - and in the USA 2 years ago - is humanity reverting to the historical norm... the law of the jungle, or might makes right.