1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lower activity a bit these days but still here and still learning :)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by WarmEmbrace, Feb 10, 2017.

1. WarmEmbrace

Hello everyone,

Wanted to apologise but for the past two weeks I have been heavily involved with the local anti corruption protests over here in Romania against the newly instated government (which incidentally also presses against the liberal values and against progress in LGBTI rights as well). Between work taking care of the house and protesting I've had very little time to go online and post anything:slight_smile:.

I did manage to muster the courage and attend a local meeting by a local LGBTI advocacy group called Accept. They had invited a speaker from Beligum - Katrin Hugendubel from ILGA Europe ( ILGA-Europe ) and we had a nice round table type of discussion about how to best use the EU legal infrastructure to fight against LGBT discrimination which is more prevalent in the Eastern Europe, especially given the sharp rise of late of populist and nationalistic parties across EU... as they have a typical anti-liberal agenda. Anyway I met quite a few interesting set of people a few very driven rights activists (almost all the people there seemed really nice and level headed, so I think I'm gonna attend more meetings hosted by Accept in the future) and learned some interesting bits of info. Transgender folks were woefully under-represented though :/.

But a sad take-away: while EU anti discrimination laws do cover discrimination based on sexual orientation ( Bi, gay, lesbian), but do not specifically protect transgender or intersex people. Also we've learned that organisations who are against LGBT rights ( and that lobby among other things for traditional family being the sole form of family officially recognised by the state, and against abortion rights for women) have suddenly become super organised across Europe in the last two years, with inter-state collaborations and whatnot, and sadly the pro LGBT movements have so far failed to mirror this level of inter state collaboration, so there have been some set backs in regard to LGBT rights even in western Europe, not in terms of legislation, because that is still there , but in terms of applying the law by the authorities.

Hugs,
    WE

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2017 at 10:18 PM ----------

-----------------------
    Also take a peek at the song from this post it is ... striking: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/3240410-post1018.html :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to hear from you, WarmEmbrace!

Those Accept meetings sound great. That's an activity where you can make a difference and take some great strength from. Good on you for getting involved in that way.

As you probably know, we are facing a lot of the same social conflicts in America right now as you described. I'm encouraged by the fact that the younger generations are much more accepting and generally on the better side of the issues, so the future looks bright. If we can survive the present.