1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of interest in favorite subject + fears of failing

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kobra kid, Jul 3, 2016.

1. kobra kid

English used to be one of my favorite subjects, and then I guess about halfway through my freshman year I stopped enjoying it as much because I became depressed. Then in my sophomore year, while I enjoyed the class and the teacher, I couldn't bring myself to care at all. I was still good at English, and I think a part of me was interested in it, but I just wasn't really there.

Now I'm going to start junior year in about a month, and the idea of even touching my English summer work is enough to discourage me all day. I don't care about any of it; I don't want to read the books, I'm not excited about the class.

I think at some point I stopped getting anything out of English classes; I'd never struggled with analyzing literature, and the only problems I'd ever had with essays was with formatting. I'm not sure if the fact that I could not be less interested in English stems from depression or just that I genuinely don't see the worth in it.

In any case, this will be really bad if I can't motivate myself to at least pretend I care about literature, since it's an AP course (don't know why I chose to take an AP in an area I hate, but whatever). I don't want to fail because of some symptom of depression. How can I get over this stupid thing? I'm sick of being unmotivated. Is it even possible to get better without professional help? I'm scared to tell my parents about how I feel.

2. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I did with one of my subjects a year back was tell myself that I would study for just 5-10 minutes for that subject. It's pretty easy to motivate yourself then, since it seems like such a short amount of time. However, normally when you get down to studying for 5 minutes, you're usually pretty engrossed by then, so you end up studying for longer. It's kind of like when you say you would just read one chapter of a book, but then you end up reading way more. Also, even if you don't study for longer than that time, you still would have studied a little bit, which is better than not studying at all.

Making a playlist of music you like and then studying till the end of it is good as well - you won't get bored, and you have a time limit that's way more exciting than just waiting for you half hour to be up.

When you first get up in the morning can be an ideal time to study as well. I find that sometimes when I start chilling in the day it is difficult to motivate myself to do anything, but if I study before doing anything else, I'm less likely to get distracted and it's done and over with then, you don't have to try and force yourself to do it for the rest of the day.

Otherwise, just look online for study tips and find some that you feel will help (if these things don't work for you). Hope this helps! :slight_smile: