1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Yeety, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I weigh 129.8 pounds (currently) I'm 5 foot 1 inch tall, and I want to lose 30 pounds by October, I know that this is a realistic goal, but how does one exactly do this? I work out and push myself in Gym/Phys Ed, so I've got that, but it's only 45 minutes. Though, it's cut back from the 5 minute bell, and getting ready at the start of Gym. So I actually have about 35 minutes at the start, until Gym class ends, so how can I get to my goal before October?

2. Really

The general rule of thumb for weight is 100lbs for the first 5 ft and 5lbs for each inch. So, you'll want to be aiming for no less than 105.
    Most weight loss is achieved by eating less. Exercise is good but unfortunately, you need to take a look at your diet. Cutting out processed food, extra sugar, that sort of thing. Decreasing portions if that's an issue.
    How do you get to school? You could always switch from taking the bus to cycling, or to walking/jogging.

3. Maeve

I don't think that's accurate. I'm 5'8 and 140 and could definitely lose a few. I think my ideal weight is 125-130. I'm also pretty fine boned so that contributes.

4. Really

Turns our there are a number of ways to calculate a healthy weight. The one I used was just a general rule of thumb.
    You can see here, if you want to check them out.
    Ideal Weight Calculator

5. itsmary

I lost 66lb without exercise.

I stopped eating candy, chips and that kind of stuff. I've been skinny for two years and never got fat again.

6. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Avoid processed food.
    2. Reduce meat intake to no more than 100 grams per day.
    3. Don't eat too much pasta and other products made out of flour such as bread or pizza.
    4. More fruits, nuts, and vegetables.
    5. Simple exercise everyday. It doesn't have to be very intensive, walking for half an hour twice a day can do miracles for you.
    6. Eat slowly.

My personal favorite is to have your own white plate/bowl from which you will eat your food. It should be no bigger than the maximal size of a single serving. It is well known that the amount of food we eat depends on the size and the color of the plate. White gives the biggest contrast between the surroundings and the food, so it gives the impression that you have a lot more food than you actually have. It also limits you how much food you consume in one serving.

p.s. You can check "The Domestic Geek" on youtube for some awesome complex salads and other healthy recipes. She is a master of healthy food. I use her recipes for salads on a regular basis.

#6 pinkpanther, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. guitar

People have crazy diets and fad exercise programs. Weight loss is incredibly easy to understand & achieve: take in less calories than you use in a day and you lose weight. Go for a walk everyday, cut down on the junk food, you'll lose weight. Fred Turner from the band BTO said it best: "If I'm not working out that day and I want cheesecake with dinner, cheesecake becomes dinner."

8. Section18

Section18 Guest

Right OP, don't listen to anything anyone else has said in this thread. It is obvious that they know absolutely nothing about exercise, nutrition etc.

You need to work out your Caloric needs. Everybody has a different amount of calories needed to sustain them for the day. If you eat below your calorie maintenance, then you will lose weight. If you eat above, then you will gain. Exercise also affects your calorie needs. This is an extremely simplified explanation, but that is okay.

Please go onto Bodybuilding.com and go onto the Losing Fat subsection then the Counting Calories and Macronutrients thread.

This should get you started.

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients - Bodybuilding.com Forums

9. Really

Just out of interest, what are your qualifications for saying this?

10. Section18

Section18 Guest

Edit: I'm done on this site.

#10 Section18, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  11. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The OP is most likely under 18, because she mentioned Gym/Phys Ed in the original post. What you gave her is about bodybuilding and for people over the age of 18. She just wants to lose some weight, not do weightlifting and become first in her class.

#11 pinkpanther, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. Section18

Section18 Guest

Right, this will be my last post on this site.

The basic calculations on the thread I provided help to determine your caloric needs. You can only lose weight by having a caloric deficit. I provided these details to help her weight loss be more efficient and quicker. Lots of people struggle with weight loss because they fail to understand the basic concept of needing a caloric deficit to lose weight.

However, if valuable information about the basics of weight loss is not needed, then ignore my post.

13. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cheer up, mate, it's not the end of the world. No one here wants you to leave. I definitely don't. (*hug*)

Also, I do believe that your original post contains valuable information, if you can read through the angry words. I intentionally did not mention calories counting in my comment, because that takes a lot of time and effort. If you're into it then you'll know what I'm talking about.

14. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always the last few thread strands (for lack of a better word) that get me, and now I'm confused...

15. guitar

Take in less calories than your body uses in a day and you'll lose weight. Or put another way: cut down on high-calorie junk food & exercise.