1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing it... weight I mean!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by I'mStillStanding, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there! I realize I'm a little late in replying, the conversation has clearly moved on from this post, but I thought I'd post my two cents anyway. Feel free to tell me to buzz off. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on self-motivating yourself to lose weight. It took me a lot of time to get to the stage where I could self-motivate myself to lose weight. My parents were supportive till a point, when I started losing more weight than 'they thought' I should, they started stepping in and pointing out that I should stop trying to 'lose' weight. And that was frustrating. Even more so since they used to drag me to all the family get-togethers, parties, weddings and events where extended relatives, family friends and even strangers would sidle up to me and comment loudly on how I was becoming a skeleton (even when I wasn't lol. I knew clearly where I was and I was being carefully monitored by my family physician/nutritionist).

I tuned them out as much as possible, had fights with my parents, but pointed it out to them that no doctor would let me starve myself and lose muscle. If I was really going on the wrong path, my family physician (who's been seeing me since I was toddler) would step in and point it out to me. Since she doesn't have a problem, they shouldn't either. I show them my blood work reports and everything where my values were definitely better. Since hypertension and diabetes runs in my family, I showed them I was way far away from the chance of contracting it at 30 (which I was when I was morbidly obese).

TL, DR - Short Version - It's tough, took a while, but I had to develop a thick skin and turn a blind eye and dead ear to the relatives. Thankfully my parents came around after a while.

Forlong, I'mStillStanding and Rade like this.
  2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Beebee80 Thanks :slight_smile: I definitely enjoyed the view hahaha he will be back tomorrow I’m already picking my outfit! I’m horrible lol. It does get hard to see when you see yourself daily! I’ll be honest, some days I feel like I see myself pretty accurately. I mean I’m still bigger but not as big as I was and all. But then some days I see the old me or bigger! Good for you on the gym :slight_smile: and packing your lunch! I actually enjoy taking my food. It’s so much better than anything I can grab in a hurry. I’ve been wanting to do protein shakes and my sister in law had a pack she hadn’t used... she gave it to my mom who isn’t using it, so I decided to use it. It’s not bad... I’ll finish it off, but now that I have a good blender I’ve been saving natural protein shakes (I don’t want to use powder after this is gone) and vegan ones (I would like to do vegan days like 2 a week). I’m excited about exploring that’s lol

@Phoenix90 hey :slight_smile: you’re opening reminded me of a very important lesson I learned from Julie Andrews... a queen is never late! Hahahaha but in all seriousness thanks for sharing. Glad it’s not just my family! I actually developed my plan with doctors. I do tons of research and ask them tons of questions to make sure I’m doing everything I can. You mentioned hypertension, well I started BP meds at 15! My grandpa (moms dad) and grandma (dad’s mom) both had their first heart attack before 40! My cholesterol and triglycerides are soooooo high! It’s crazy that they aren’t force feeding me lettuce. I’ve actually started coming off BP medication so that’s good! I’ll be doing Blood work in the next few weeks so we will see where all that is. Mom and her mom are both on insulin. That’s the one thing I’ve not had to deal with. It’s evil to say but my siblings have dealt with that... even my skinny heifer (term of endearment in my family) sister Lol. I’m not gonna say it doesn’t bother me because it does. But I’m not gonna let it stop me. I mean when I had to give up gluten everyone said it would be hard! It was the easiest thing. I cook them food (cakes, pizza, casseroles, pasta, etc) with gluten all the time and never want it.

Ram90 likes this.
  3. Forlong

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It’s great that you’re excited most hate to have to change their eating habits. Me I love it especially if I see results and the food is great. Going vegan a few days a week is a great idea and beneficial. I went to see a nutritionist about my weight months back and she said to try doing vegan a few times a week. I’m definitely going to try that out and see what foods I can eat. I like different protein shakes, I try to stick with the ones low or no sugar. And I started meal prepping too help when I’m so busy and don’t have time to cook.

#23 Forlong, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome!

I feel like gluten and dairy products are overrated. I'm not totally gluten-free or dairy-free, but I do avoid as much of both as possible due to dietary restrictions. (I wouldn't call myself gluten and dairy intolerant, but I think I'm over halfway there). There's so many options which don't include either. I for one can't give up yoghurt. The Indian version atleast lol. And it's probiotic. I've recently turned into a spokesperson for probiotic, fermented and gut-friendly food. They've helped me on multiple occasions. But I'll stop now lol, don't want to turn the topic for this thread into something else.

As for cooking. Oh boy! I love cooking. I'm learning to recreate traditional South-Indian recipes from my Mom. She's talking to her mom (Grandmother dear) and asking her to re-collect her mom's recipes! (Great-Grandma). So that's fun. I love it when people eat my cooking and are happy, so it's a win-win. My friends like to tease me by saying that I manage to not put on the pounds by feeding them and not eating myself, but it's a matter of perspective lol.

I'm glad you're on the path to getting off the medications. My doctor is talking to me about managing everything through food. She doesn't support taking anti-biotics or any medication at all for stuff. She prefers to treat it through diet, exercise and nature. So I'm trying to do the same. It gets tough when you have the flu or tummy bug for over a week, but the results speak for themselves. :slight_smile:

Sorry if I went a bit off-topic there.[/USER]

#24 Ram90, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  5. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Beebee80 yea I love trying new things! I’m not a huge fan of protein shakes (though the one I’m using now you can make great lol) I just don’t like the powder porcessnessed of it all. Once this is out I’m going to do all fruit-veggie smoothies. It’s amazing the protein you can get from spinach, kale, oats, chia seeds, hemp hearts, etc. Going that route I’ll know exactly what’s in it and feel cleaner about it.

@Phoenix90 oh I love diary! Like too much. But gluten is of the devil! It nealry killed me (literally) before we realized that’s what was making me sick (about 6 years ago). So I can’t have it. You are going to have to share some recipes! I love cooking different foods and I’ve never tried to cook Indian cuisine. Primarily because I’ve never actually had it and I like to have an idea of what the flavor should be like before I embark on the adventure. I had never tried Thai food (till like 2 years ago) and then after I went with my sister I feel in love. Now I make a pineapple fried rice that is sooo good. We have it at couple times a month. I never thought I’d get my southern family to eat something with so much curry lol (let alone all the other stuff haha). With medicines I tend to have a foot in both doors. Some medication is a must, but we do over medicate. I only want to be on what I have to be! I prefer to try more holistic approaches to most everything too... everyone thought I was crazy when I refused back surgery and requested to try acupuncture lol. But with that physical therapy, and traction it improved soooo much!

Forlong likes this.
  6. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Picture - Update

So I’m stalled! It’s my own fault, I’ve not been counting calories like I should and well I’m not eating no where near enough. I’ve had days where I only actually had about 800 calories. When you’re eating a lot of veggies it so easy to fall short.

I do check my weight daily just because! So it’s like come on move a little lol. Well I’m gonna start counting calories for sure... I have no choice honestly!

In the mist of the frustration I hopped on social media and a picture of me with some friends from 4 years ago popped up! Again it’s shocking. I can’t even believe I let myself get that big. I know I’ve already shared a picture, but I’m doing another one! It’s literally 4 years ago today and today! It’s crazy!

Destin and smurf like this.
  7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @I'mStillStanding You've definitely come a long way. As for the calories thing, this is what I normally do. There are some standard stuff that I eat like standard dishes and snack items. Since I eat smaller meals 5 to 6 times a day and I aim to get in atleast 1200 calories if not more, I try to make sure I'm eating 200 - 250 calories per meal. I have a bunch of glass tupperware types containers (I think they can fill upto 12 oz of food) which I use to store my stuff. I eat breakfast at home, pack up 4 boxes, 2 with proper meals (Rice + Curry) and 2 with snacks (Boiled Peanuts, Assorted Cut Fruit, Cookies, et al) and munch on it during work timings. I come home and have dinner. Not sure, but maybe you can try that?

Since I shuffle the same food around with a lot of common elements, I know the average calories I'm consuming and can roughly estimate the rest at a glance.

I'mStillStanding likes this.
  8. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I’ve got to add another meal. I normal do 3 meals and one snack. (Though my snack has nearly as many calories as my meal it’s normally banana with peanut butter and gluten free granola with a glass of milk... it’s like my dessert for the day I love it lol! Well I try to that some days I only get two. But I should meal prep for busy days... I mean I’m a consultant for the product you mentioned so I’ve got tons of it lol.

9. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update:

So last month was very frustrating! The scale wouldn’t move down. I was having issues with water retention. Got a stomach bug and was really busy with moms birthday so fell out of workout habit. And realized how bad my self esteem is really affecting me.

Towards the end of January I realized I wasn’t eating no where near enough calories, and I knew this the whole time. I just didn’t want to realize how short I was really falling. After realizing that, I’ve honestly not made much of an effort to correct the problem. So I did what I always do, and discussed it with my therapist.

I actually said I’d not eat at all if I could lose weight and get to where I want to be... but my body stops when I cut back so much. It always has. So this has been going on probably since I was 11 or 12. Long periods of hardly eating to lose weight. Then when I stop losing I get very upset, frustrated, and depressed so I just start eating whatever and gain everything I did lose and some more back. Then do it all over again.

My therapist isn’t to happy this habit hasn’t been addressed... but I had to admit my family is always fussing at me for starving myself! Now... I hate apologizing and I actually did try and bring it up to my mom two days ago! She didn’t say much, I think she’d rather not acknowledge it directly, so I just said they were right and I need to do better. That’s all that was really said in the subject.

So therapy is currently focusing on working on self worth and such and hopefully we can put to bed some of these issues! It’s like Pandora’s box... I open up a little and s**t just keeps coming out! It’s like wtf?

But anyway... looking at my calendar I realized I had forget to log my weight on the 1st. I weight everyday, but I only record it once a month. So I weighed today and recorded it... looking back I lost 5 lbs last month. I’d be lying if I said I’m not disappointed in that... because I am! But I am very happy to be in a new number group, so the glass is definilty half full :slight_smile:

10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend, I am hardly the one to give advice on weight loss, but considering the immense stress you are subject to, due to your family situation and the reality of Southern cooking, I think that you are perhaps too harsh on yourself. It's difficult to make progress when the body is stressed. That you've made the weight loss thus far is a remarkable achievement. You need to not allow yourself to get discouraged. Each day is a fresh start. And slow progress is often more lasting than quicker ones. Just keep at it. I feel that once you are in a calmer and drama-free setting, your weight loss will become easier. Stay positive. It will happen! *smile*

11. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m am totally to hard on myself, in every aspect of my life. I know when ever I’m at the end of the weight loss journey the process will make me even more appreciative and dedicated to stay on track. I’m just ready to look in the mirror and be happy! Thanks for the encouraging words.

12. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eating a balanced diet, eating a set number of meals a day, eating healthy - nutritious meals everyday. These are challenges. In today's busy world it isn't easy. And on top of that, with the level of responsibilities you have, it does get tougher. But I'm glad you're trying your best. That is the important thing. Doing whatever you can. The little things and every bit of effort is important. It counts. Being happy is the biggest plus point, the most important thing. That's what I like to tell myself always. Took look for the happy things, the positive point in even the smallest of things. Like a cloud with a silver lining.

Logging the weight once a month is the right way to go in my opinion. I stopped weighing myself everyday though, it just drove my crazy. I weigh myself once a month, measure my body using tape and log those numbers. I do try and maintain a daily food diary. If I can't log every piece of food I eat at that moment, I try to remember it and then log the approx values at the end of the day. That way, I know if I've eaten more than normal or less than normal when I look over the trend weekly. That keeps me from beating myself up if my weight doesn't show much difference during my log-day.

Maybe you can come down to weighing yourself twice a week? Then once a week? Then once in 2 weeks? All the way till once a month. Slowly of course.

bearheart likes this.
  13. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your doing really good, I'mstillstanding, that's really clear to see in the picture above. I lost a bit by running and eating less. I have a personal trainer. Only see him once a week but he sets me homework. I had my second session yesterday. My upper arms are ripped today, even holding my phone to type kills......just keep going I know it's hard, I had a difficult week last week but I'm in a better place mentally to exercise this week.
    Jon

14. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I was doing better getting all my meals in... now I’m back to two meals and maybe a snack lol it’s just what I fall into I don’t know why. Am I the only person in the world who likes the feeling of being hungry? I mean even now I’m hungry (I’ve not eaten yet and it’s so late into the morning I’ll prob just wait till lunch) and I actually am like good maybe my body will eat some of the fat can the hunger pains move to my thighs and back and chest for a minute then back to the gut lol... but I do try and stick to the positive side... I fail but I give it my best shot!

Yea I log it once a month so I can see bigger results lol looking back... I’ve been saying I was gonna do a good journal but honestly I haven’t wanted to. If I do I’ll be responsible for my diet... it’ll be in black and white... yesterday I feel good that I hit 1200 calories... but I’d say 4 or 5 days a week I’m not crossing 1000 and writing it down would make me have to be responsible for that... I gotta do it though... I’ll start tomorrow maybe

I don’t know about not weighing daily. When I’m not home it’s fine, I don’t have to weigh. But being home it’s just part of my morning... and if I miss it I think about it all day...

15. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :slight_smile: I’ve gotta do better with the exercise! I’m so jealous of your trainer situation for sure!

Rade likes this.
  16. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The trainer is expensive but his knowledge is so useful. I actually got the push ups correct, I went home buzzing.

17. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm jumping in late in this discussion! Congratulations @I'mStillStanding about the weight loss. You look great (in both the before and after!), being healthy is the aim here. Whether you have a few extra pounds or not, if you're eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly, the weight thing is going to resolve itself with time. I figured out that it is the habits that we follow are what make us.

I started dieting and exercising December first of 2018. I do use a personal trainer as well. Although a bit expensive but well worth it. He is educating me about the whole thing. I read a lot, but when it comes to implementing what you read I need someone to discuss it with and have regular input. Anyways. It working well for me, but slowly. I started over 260lbs in December, now I'm about 234lbs. I exercise two times a week, which is not a lot, but my work schedule is kind of limiting too. I use MyFitnessPal app from Under Armour to track my food intake, calories and nutrients. It has been helping a lot to educate me about each type of food, and track carbs, fats, and protein intake on a daily basis. I'm not in a hurry to lose weight though, it is not a race. So yes, a few weeks ago, with dieting and everything, I didn't lose any weight for weeks. Frustrating, but kept going, changed a little my diet intake percentages and quantities, and my personal trainer changed some of the exercise techniques, adding more weights and repetitions, mixing up exercises in different ways in order to fool your body to react by burning the extra fat.

So, don't get frustrated, just keep doing what you're doing, your body will eventually get to get rid of the extra fat to compensate for the lost calories somehow. I also weight myself almost every morning too, it makes my day when the reading moves down! It i s encouraging but sometimes it is frustrating too! I don't expect a huge sudden weight loss either.

Good job, keep doing what you are doing. You'll eventually reach your goal.

18. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :slight_smile: I definitely see improvement lol in the picture for sure. I’m not gonna lie and say the aim is to be healthy. Hopefully that’ll be a byproduct of the weight loss lol it’s a close second goal for sure. My number one goal is to be sexy... the only straight I am is straight up honest lol

Congrats on your weight loss :slight_smile: that’s amazing! I’m curious what’s your work outs like? I’m jealous I wish I was where you were today! I’m getting there slowly...

I’ve gotta fix the diet. I’m not eating enough at all. So that could be a big part in my delays. I do tend to stop when I’m not eating enough calories and I’ve just not been worried it about it the last few months. I gotta do better with that!

19. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that one important thing is to lose weight for your own health and boost your self esteem, but being overweight can be a turn on for many men the same way as a toned body. Either way you're doing it for yourself not to impress anyone else.

I personally find that a man with a will to exercise and to diet is attractive by attitude; the discipline and the way he's handling his own health is a big plus towards a positive personality.

My personal trainer these days follow a four day cycle: shoulders, back, biceps and triceps, then legs/lower body. Sometimes he increases set repititions (10, 12, 15 then 20 repititions each exercise) and sometimes he increases weight for each repitition), between each there is no rest, I'll be doing some sort of jumping, between the sets there will be a jogging that I have to do. The exercise lasts for about an hour continuous. I always start with 30min brisk walk (treadmill) and end the exercise with another 30min. I finish the session unable to move properly! Tiring but rewarding. Feel accomplished.

The diet, now I'm increasing protein intake (about 200gm) and decreasing carbs (50gm) and fats (20gm). Basically it's like 2lbs of chicken breast plus a small can of tuna in water throughout the day, plus salad and veggies of course, and two toasts with non fat cheese and egg white at breakfast (sometimes I cheat with a full egg instead!). I'm allowed one free meal every 5 days in order to stimulate my body and not let it get used to the diet.

I didn't start like this 3 months ago of course. The diet and exercise patterns were different.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure that "being sexy" is a major reason why a lot of people are interested in losing weight.

One's appearance, in general, is probably why many (most?) people are interested in losing weight. This time of year, one may well hear, in fact, someone talking about wanting to look good wearing a swimsuit in summer, and so it's time to lose a few pounds.

#40 BMC77, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019