1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DayByDay, Aug 11, 2017.

1. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so I know everybody is different but I really want to hear about other peoples experiences before I make any decisions. Basically, I start high school in a few weeks and I've heard a lot of people say that it's better to come out sooner rather than later. I think it might be good for me to be at least semi-out going into high school, but I really don't know. If I come out to anyone, I will start with my brother who is openly gay because I know he will be supportive and he can give me advice. I live in a very religious/conservative area and I know it won't be easy coming out at school. I'm not really sure what to do because I want to come out earlier, rather than wait until college but I know I'll be judged (at least by people at school). Anyway, my question is for people who came out earlier. Do you think it was beneficial to come out while you were younger? Or did this make it more difficult for you?

Again, I know everyone's experience is different but I'm just looking for some perspective. Oh also sorry for this post being somewhat all over the place.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's hypocritical for me to say this, but if it's something you're even considering, do it. You're clearly in a safe environment if your brother is able to handle being openly gay. Trust me, the longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes. Don't waste years of your life being afraid to be yourself. Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I seriously appreciate the honesty. It's exactly what I need right now. I would definitely say that I'm in a safe environment, family wise at least. Though I do think my parents, and dad especially will struggle with it. I know they will still love me after, but they won't see my the same way anymore.

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know you don't want to hurt them, but they'll get over it, and chances are any negative thoughts they have will be more about you having a more difficult path in life than loving you any less or disapproving of you. Once the people most important to you know, then the rest don't really matter. I don't think it's necessary to broadcast it to the world or anything if you don't want to; just be yourself and people will figure it out on their own. If they don't like it, they were never going to be a real friend anyways. It's better to surround yourself with people who like you for the real you.

5. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, you're actually right. When my brother came out I think they were more worried about him than anything. Thank you so much, you've been really helpful! I think I might be ready to come out to my brother. It's important to me that I do it sooner rather than later.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Awesome, good luck! :slight_smile: