1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FoxEars, Feb 15, 2017.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, as of yesterday I now have an enbyfriend. An enbyfriend is like a boyfriend or girlfriend, but outside of the gender binary. Enby being short for None Binary (NB)

My enbyfriend's name is Grey, and I had developed a romantic crush on them a while back. We started talking about 7 months ago, and they too began to love me through our conversations and support.
    I love them so much, but they live at the other end of the country and I am unable to meet them any time soon. I'm worried that this will impact on our relationship. We do call and Skype often, and I am planning to post them a present as a late valentines gift or an early birthday surprise.
    There are some people who disagree with these types of relationships regarding the fact that we have never talked face to face. Is it okay? Is it wrong? How will most people react?
    Thanks,
    Theo.

2. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Theo,

been there, done that! I have a friend who is very dear to me and who lives a very, very far away from me, too.

So, to your questions - I definitely do not think that having a long distance relationship is wrong. I think it´s perfectly ok. Finding people that understand each other is not easy, and especially when one of them (or both) is trans/nonbinary/has whatever else not-so-common gender identity. Actually I think that the chance that two people like that meet and understand each other is snowball in Hell, so - DO NOT GIVE A DAMN WHAT DO OTHER PEOPLE SAY, ok? This relationship and all its specialties and rituals and other precious things are just between you two. Your business. Don´t let anyone else take it away from you. Some people might have the tendency to say that the long distance relationship is not a real deal, because you guys never actually met, but hey, what do they know? There are couples living in a household together who never hold hands, and never kiss, and who act almost like strangers to each other, because their relationship is not going as well as it should. Compared to them - you and your enbyfriend are just fine! :slight_smile:

Good luck you two! :slight_smile:

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If this is what you want, then it's fine. Some people might react with "You can't have feelings for someone you haven't met in person" or "Long-distance relationships never work!" Don't listen to those people. The ways people meet and date are changing quickly. As long as you're happy and in a healthy relationship, that's the only thing that counts.

My fiancee and I met online. We were friends for a few years before we started dating and we didn't meet in person until six months in. We've been together over three years and I have plans to move in with her this fall. It's a lot of work, but it can work.

4. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it works for you that's all that matters.

5. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all? Does anyone have any advice for when it becomes difficult to contact one another for certain reasons?