1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News London apartment building fire

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jun 13, 2017.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to just leave this link here, because it is being constantly updated. I will also give the warning that the scenes being described in this are graphic, terrifying and sad. I'm keeping all of those affected by this in my thoughts.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had to turn the news off. It's too distressing to watch.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really is terrible. The one silver lining is that there are a lot of people that are helping. Also, I read a story saying that more people would have died if it was not Ramadan. Some were up eating before daybreak and they smelled the smoke and knocked on doors and got people out of the building.

It's also good to see many people of different faiths working together to help everybody that has been displaced. I hope that those that are injured are able to recover and I hope that people are able to find another place to stay.

4. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So heartbreaking! My heart goes out to all those affected but it is so nice seeing so many people willing to help the displaced.

But how the hell did it burn up so quickly? It's horrifying to know that people have died in such an excruciatingly painful way. Hopefully those who died passed out due to the smoke before being consumed by the fire.

#4 KyleD, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. Pao85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's absolutely heartbreaking, I'm deeply disturbed by what has happened. The last month in London and UK has been quite heavy.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I have read, they are thinking that the cladding that was installed when the building was recently renovated was highly flammable. That, combined with the fact that the sprinkler system was not working at the time sadly seemed to create the perfect storm for this fire to spread. I also read that the apartment that the fire started in took time to pack his bags before alerting others to the fact that his room was on fire.

7. Pao85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right, they covered up the whole building with this cheap high inflammable material just because it "looked nice" for all those rich people living in the luxury flats nearby during the last so-called "refurbishment" (apparently only aesthetic). As you said the sprinkler system wasn't working, neither the fire alarm and there weren't any fire escapes, except for the main staircase. The local council and the government were fully aware of the poor safety conditions of the building but they simply didn't care because the tower was inhabited by immigrants and working-class people.
    The story about the man who caused the fire apparently is only press speculation because nobody still knows what caused the blaze. A lot of people in high positions may be involved and I'm afraid they will try to cover the truth as much as they can.
    I'm so devastate, this tragedy could have been completely avoided just respecting the basic safety rules. People cannot die in such horrible way, I do hope they will get justice at least.

#7 Pao85, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. aussielefty

my thoughts go out to every one in the UK ,going thru some hard times right now..

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think at this point condolences add little to the discussion. It's horrible and shocking that so many lives were needlessly lost. But those deaths mustn't become a challenge between public figures to prove who's most emotional. That turns victims into pawns and grief into a mockery.

This highlights two problems - the first is the self-contradictory nature of cost-cutting in basic social and physical infrastructure where the outcome is an expensive, tragic and trust-eroding loss of life. The repairs, inquiries and compensation will cost many millions more pounds than savings on council spending ever would. Class antagonism and a reasonable unwillingness to trust local authorities have many hidden costs.

The second thing is that there has to be a fundamental level of protection for vulnerable people. You do not have to believe in an expansive welfare state to believe it is inhumane to provide dangerous housing to those on benefits. Unsafe and unpleasant housing is not just unsafe, it's undignified and demoralising regardless of whether tragedies like this happen.