1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

links provided by RSS feed

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Jun 29, 2006.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya,

Don't know if anyone else uses the RSS feed thingee, but something about the way it is currently set up is annoying so I thought I'd ask if it could be changed.

The feed provides articles/message/entries/whatever for new threads started at Empty Closets. However, the link provided in these articles ends with "&goto=newpost", which means if you click on the link for a new thread, it puts you at the last message posted in that thread, which is pretty silly given that the whole point of using RSS to keep track of new threads is that when you go to the thread via RSS, it's new to you, so you want to start at the beginning of the thread, not the end!

Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to configure the forum so the RSS articles don't include "&goto=newpost" at the end of its link.

2. TriBi

OMG - I would never have noticed that. I cannot say that it is something that would really bother me.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I believe the RSS facilities in vBulletin are fairly limited. As I understand it, it only supplies new threads not new posts to threads.

I will have a look to see if there are any admin options for this over the weekend, but I don't recall seeing anything previously.

4. Micah

*sees that other mods are actually doing their job, and replying to important posts and tries to think of something useful to say*

.....I used to collect pokemon cards when I was in year 3.....

*congratulates self on a job well done*

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I know that. That's not the issue I'm raising. The issue is that the links it supplies to new threads by default go to the most recent (i.e. latest) message in that thread, rather than to the beginning (i.e. first message) of that thread. Given that the RSS feed is only supplying new threads, it would make a lot more sense for the links to those new threads to go to the beginning of the thread, not the end, since one assumes that if a user is clicking on the link to a new thread, they haven't read the thread yet.

Anyway, anything you can dig up would be awesome.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with your thinking Joey. I'll let you know what (if anything) I find.

And thanks to Dave for his - erm - "useful" contribution too! :grin: :thumbsup:

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Poor Dave (*hug*)

Oh well, think of it this way...you're like that cool uncle who lets you have sips of alcohol when the parents arent looking....:tongue:

PS: All you other Mods are wicked too....just cheering Dave up a little bit