1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life lessons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - You're probably less annoying than you think you are.

-It's fine if you don't figure out your style as a teenager. There's a lot of focus on glow ups and experiencing phases. However, it's fine if you don't go through this. You're not broken. I've only started to get interested in fashion recently. Admittedly I used to wonder if there was something wrong with me for not caring about such things in my teenage years since I didn't fit into what I saw on TV. I wasn't sneaking off to parties or going through an emo phase. Adolescence is different for everyone.

- No one really knows what they're doing. A part of belonging is acting like you do. It's easy to undersell yourself because you assume that everyone is doing better than you. However, the truth is, that's not necessarily true.

-Act like you're living the life you want to live. I don't mean outright lying. However, say you really like a particular style of fashion or you want to get more into a certain type of music. Yet you've haven't explored this since you think no, that can never really be me, other people are that cool, not me. Get into the mindset that is you. That it will be. After all, that's how everyone starts. The same goes for learning a new talent. Learning how to draw? When talking to yourself, call yourself an artist. I don't care if you don't think it's true. Forget about whether you deserve such a label. If you keep putting so much mental distance between who you wish to be from who you are, you're going to make yourself miserable. Believe that you're going to get there and the journey will be easier. You're much more likely to take it if you do.

- In addition, if someone asks you to self-evaluate your work, act as though you think it's worth slightly higher than you actually do. Think it's a B+? Argue that it's an A, and if your teacher disagrees then agree with them that you were wrong and the teacher is right. Chances are they'll offer useful advice on how to get an A next time and they may even admire your ambition and confidence. I can't guarantee this will work, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's certainly worked for me.

Feel free to add your own. :slight_smile:

#1 Canterpiece, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I’ve learned from marching band and I hope my students learn it too.

Know when it’s time to be part of and move as part of the whole. But know when it’s time to stand out and be in the spot light. When it’s your turn to be in the spotlight, own it like there’s no tomorrow and let your voice be heard.