1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life and how it can always be tough

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Kay, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Kay

Kay Guest

To start her name was Sarah and she was such a love. We met years ago on a bus ride to a gay event. We were broke and she offer to drive her truck with all of us on board. We all came to know her and love who she was. Her coming out story was at fourteen. She came out and entered a horror film that turned into her life. She turned 64 in December of last year.
    Fifty years later her coming out was still the framework where she hung the boards that would be her life. An awesome woman with a wickedly cruel story. She lived with her partner of years Dan (a female). They were a beautiful couple. Each was an anchor to each other.
    Today I remember Sarah and the tragic events of her life. She finally ended her being yesterday. She had tried before a number of times as has her partner Dan. The two were funny and loving but events shattered their center. They lived reclusive lives that included no close friends nearby. The nearest neighbors are maybe a mile away.

Sarah was a wonderful woman. Today she would have thrived and probably had a healthy life as a queer woman. Back in 1963 when she came out the world was less friendly and people even relatives did not cut you any slack. Today she would have had a place to turn and run when life crumbed around her. Back then not so much.

I guess when I think of her story I wish that she would have been born in an era of openness like today. Yes coming out can be a scary thing but there is information, gay alliances, websites, laws to protect and even shelters to run too. Some may think that today is not so hot but it beats the past. Sarah was not coming out when she asked her mom what her problem was. There was no other person in the world to find out what gay was except someone you thought you could really trust.
    Her question was innocent. She struggled for fifty years because she asked a question in a society far less tolerant than today. Hugs Sarah know that you are loved.

2. redstormrising

Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss (*hug*) I can't even imagine what life must have been like coming out back then.

We still have a long way to go, but I think it is definitely important to also remember how far we have come as a society.

3. Kay

Kay Guest

Hugs and thank you dear. Yeah it was a much different place.

4. PeteNJ

Kay, I send a warm hug, shared tears. We, I, am blessed that you and your partner are living a happy life. And then we hold each other close over the sadness and grief of illness, loss, death. I am sorry. You have shared this poignantly.

5. Italy or Bust

Makes me so sad. All these people who look back to "the good old days" need to read this.

6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

BIG HUGS, Kay. Very sorry for your loss. Sending Love.

7. Kay

Kay Guest

Thanks sweetheart it means a lot.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2013 at 10:18 AM ----------

I think we are now living in the good old days. Hugs love

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2013 at 10:19 AM ----------

Thank you sweetheart. You are a dear. Hugs

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kay,

Maybe I am nuts but Sarah has embraced on a journey of self discovery and love we th living can only look forward to.

No infant in the womb would choose the stress and unknown of the birthing process. Similarly death is a birthing process into the unknown. A place where all things physical and sexual have no meaning...

===
    22. Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the (Father's) kingdom."

They said to him, "Then shall we enter the (Father's) kingdom as babies?"

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."
    ===

All the things that troubled her in this world have evaporated in the next.

In many ways it is time to be joyous for Sarah.

Hugs! Put on your dancing shoes as Sarah has.

Love,
    Stuck

9. Kay

Kay Guest

Thank you Stuck

I see that Sarah has ended her suffering and released the pain she has carried. We can be joyous in that this has ended. We celebrate the birth and should well celebrate the passing. In most ways we do celebrate it.
    The mourning we feel as humans or at least for me is the selfish this person is gone and can never be replaced. We are left with a hole.
    Sarah was a gem to be cherished and a wonderful and loving partner and friend. We shared life with this wondrous woman every day for close to three years. I loved her and will the sadness is from the missing. Thank you so much for your kind words of love and peace. Kisses dear

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nothing is lost in death just temporarily misplaced for a short period. All will be reunited with all.

11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kay, I am so sorry to hear about this. It breaks my heart. She went through so much, but I'm sure that having you as a friend made her days wonderful. I know I'm lucky to have you as a friend. (*hug*)

12. Kay

Kay Guest

Thank you dear. It means a lot and i am thankful for your friendship as well. Hugs so much.

13. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    Aw Kay, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Sarah. I again want to send my thoughts to you and know that I'm thinking about you at this time. I can't imagine how tough this must be for you, and if you ever need to talk or just vent or have a "shoulder" to cry on, I'm always here okay?

She went through so much, and must have been such a strong woman. It is so sad to hear she is gone. :frowning2: (*hug*)

14. tulman

stuck mistake: RE post #8. Awesome post, great stuff
    Condolences to Kay, Helen, Dan and all those close to Sarah.

15. FunnyMonkey

I just read her story. I'm really sorry.
    I know it's hard, but try and remember the good times and all the laugh along the way.
    If you need to talk about this we are always here for you. (*hug*)(*hug*)(&&&)(*hug*)(*hug*)

16. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kay, I was sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Sarah and I am thinking of you, her partner Dan, and her other friends as you mourn her passing. May she have finally found peace.

Hugs to you all, Sale Gay Guy

17. Kay

Kay Guest

Thank you love and Stuck Mistake had a great post at #8. Hugs and love

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2013 at 09:23 PM ----------

I know you are always here and i love you and all the rest who have shared their love today. Thanks sweetie

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

I do hope she is at peace. We will go on. The initial missing is so hard. Thank you my dear. So much love to you

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

Thank you love. I will always consider your shoulder. I think of the love she shared and the beauty of her life. I have found on EC a family of genuine lovers and friends. I am in awe. Love you angel

18. Lez

Lez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for your loss....It truly must have been so difficult to come out back then...(*hug*)

19. Kay

Kay Guest

It was but there are still so many struggles with coming out. We should not even have to do this. It is sad. Thank you so much hugs and love

20. Incognito10

Sorry to hear this, Kay. It was, for me at least, scary coming out and living open in this era, I can't imagine what it was like in decades past. I am always in awe of those who I hear about that came out and lived openly, particularly 50+ years ago.