1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lgbtq, saga, gsm, dsg????

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by NetflixAndKill, Nov 4, 2016.

1. NetflixAndKill

While researching different LGBT+ identities, I came across several alternate abbreviations, all of them seeming far more inclusive than just LGBTQ (or even LGBTQ+) and shorter than LGBTQPIADMCF. Anyway, I was wondering what the community thought of an ally using one of these alternate abbreviations:

SAGA: Sexuality and Gender Alliance

GSM: Gender and Sexuality minorities

DSG: Diverse Sexualities and Genders

There might be more; I haven't checked. Are these common (would people understand what I meant if I used one of these?). Had you heard of any of them? Does anyone you know actually use one of them? Are there any of them you WOULDN'T be okay with?

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of the three abbreviations already stand for something else. I also think LGBT(+) sounds inclusive enough. Considering that people anyway have a hard time following up with the terminology a new form would be just superfluous.

3. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT or LGBTQ is fine, it's universally known what it means. Straights are confused enough by us, don't need more acronyms to further the misunderstanding that already exists.

Sure, if someone uses the less common acronyms, that's cool but, I'm not going to force it and, I do prefer LGBTQ or just LGBT. Doesn't have to fit everyone perfectly and be totally all inclusive, the implied inclusion is good enough IMO.

4. TheMatthew

I definitely prefer LGBT or LGBTQ. I feel like it gets the point across, and everyone knows what it means, so I don't really think there's a need to change it. At least, I think so :lol:

5. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

Um.... i dunno if you considered that those are VERY broad.... very VERY broad... and you MIGHT get people trying to show up to them you MIGHT NOT want to ... LUMP IN

for instance if you have ever sat through an explanation about how bestiality is when sex between a human and an animal is non-consensual (rape), but it's "zoophilia" when its "consensual"

you MIGHT start to think twice about WHO you want to include in "sexual minorities" for whatever PURPOSES You are using this acronym

and it goes further

i can go on and on..

have you considered that

people who organize under pedophilia organizations? (yes they exist if you didn't know. they even have symbols and pins....)

might call themselves a sexual minority?

this can go on all day long and just get messier and messier and messier and messier