1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT tv shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by thekillingmoon, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While not a strictly LGBT show, Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a show I would recommend to gay/lesbian people. It's the show that helped me accept my sexual orientation.

I couldn't accept that I was gay because I was raised by strict Christians who preached that gay relationships were wrong and sinful and could never really work out. But when I saw Willow and Tara's relationship develop and how beautiful it was, despite them being of the same sex, I thought to myself "how could this possibly be wrong?" I had never really seen a long term positive portrayal of a gay couple before and Willow and Tara's relationship drastically changed the way I viewed same-sex couples. It was only a few months later that I finally admitted to myself that I was gay.

I like "Looking", but don't love it.

2. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love Mitch and Cam's relationship in Modern Family. Funny show.

Has anyone heard of The Switch? You can find it on YouTube. It's still fundraising on Kickstarter, but it's a sitcom (the new kind without a laugh-track) featuring all transgender actors and characters. Wasn't bad. Had some weird awkward moments, but all in all, has great potential.

3. thekillingmoon

I heard a lot about this show and I always wanted to watch it. Not even because of lesbian content, but cause the plot sounds interesting. I'm quite a fan of vampire fantasy stories. Don't know why I haven't yet. It's definitely on my to watch list.

4. Candace

Modern Family! :grin:, Will and Grace

5. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime I definitely recommend it. The first season isn't the best so I would recommend sticking with it for a little bit even if you aren't hooked by the first few episodes.

And yes, my love for the show has nothing to do with the lesbian content (I was just pointing out why the lesbian romance was important to me). I love it for the character development, exciting story lines and clever dialogue from Joss Whedon.

6. SnazzyJazzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There's also Modern Family that includes a gay couple (Mitchell and Cam) with their adopted Vietnamese daughter called Lily. I also enjoyed Lip Service too, a great show. This isn't a TV show but Out With Dad is an award winning web series which I'd recommend to anyone who are questioning themselves, this show helped me come to terms to who I am.

7. Black Swan

Hell, yes! From Captain Jack, a pansexual character who got his own spinoff show because he was so awesome, to Madam Vastra and Jenny Flint, an interspecies lesbian crime-solving married couple, Doctor Who is awesome.

Seriously though, the BBC 3-part miniseries, "Oranges are not the Only Fruit", based on the book of the same name, is a touching tale of a young, gay woman's coming-of-age story. It has strong religious themes and is quite disturbing in parts so be cautious if you intend to watch.

#27 Black Swan, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. Rainbow Girl

I second the web series Out with Dad. I'm currently re-watching it through for the fifth or sixth time in the past year and I still makes me laugh, cry, smile and relate just as it did the first time.

9. keshafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like
    Faking it
    Out with Dad
    Roseanne (if it counts)

10. Silas

All I've really seen so far is Faking It, Xena, Buffy... and they added a gay vampire and a gay witch on the Originals and Vampire Diaries this year!

11. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Don't Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves/Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar. A Swedish mini series about AIDS in Sweden. Probably the best show I've ever seen but it's very, very sad (obviously).

In The Flesh is another good one. It's got gay zombies, so what's not to love about it? Seriously though, you should all watch it because it's amazing. It's really well written and the story is refreshing. It's more sad than creepy.

12. Candace

Ru Paul's Drag Race, Modern Family (to some extent)....and that's it for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

13. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Ummm there it queer as folk(super sexy show haha cx) and fakig it those are the ink ones I watched but I stopped watching faking I because I don't like to watch one episode a week cx

14. wanderinggirl

Queer as Folk... I was obsessed with it even before I realized I was queer, and I didn't connect the dots... :slight_smile: then Lip Service was my show for a while.

But really, as far as I'm concerned any show is a queer show if I can ship the characters in my imagination... :icon_wink this is wonderful because then I get less cynical about all the straight relationships not working out ("of course they didnt end up together! She's in love with Angie and he's in love with Robert!"). So then every show becomes extended sexual tension, which more closely resembles my life. :icon_redf

15. DoctorWatson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if this really counts as an LGBT show but I would definitely recommend BBC Sherlock. It's so obvious Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are in love with each other in this version, but the creators keep denying it (and for the record, they have denied many other things which have actually turned out to be true.) And the show is loaded with gay subtext and sexual tension.

I could literally go on and on about how gay this show is but I'll be here all night. :slight_smile:

16. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've recently started watching The Fosters which is about a lesbian, bi-racial couple with their adopted children, including one kid who also happens to be questioning his sexuality. I would highly recommend.
    Apart from that, Modern Family and Out With Dad are also both awesome :slight_smile:

17. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Silas, I would hardly call Luke a positive asset to Vampire Diaries. He's evil! I feel like the only reason they added a gay character was to keep up with all the other shows that have their "token gay character". Totally agree with you on Xena and Buffy though:slight_smile:

18. kunglaomksm

I'm still finishing the last season of Desperate Housewives which are stories of housewives in a mysterious neighborhood where there are always death. There's a short lesbian storyline in there and it features gay couple Bob and Lee and Andrew Vandekamp and his partner.
    My next show to watch is Six Feet Under cause I saw the couple David and Keith on tumblr.
    Queer as Folk is good too but it's sometimes distracting cause of sexy times and I have to relieve myself multiple times :icon_bigg(!)
    Brothers and Sisters is really great cause Kevin and Scotty has real chemistry and it also tackles the HIV and AIDS issue.
    And of course Shameless which features the relationship of Ian and Mickey. I prefer the US over the original UK version.

19. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I love the new Sherlock, but it really really bothers me when people ship John and Sherlock, because it's so obviously a non-issue. I don't see any sexual tension or frustration between them at all. None whatsoever. You're free to imagine whatever, but there's just nothing whatsoever romantic happening (or even likely to happen) between the two characters.

I just had to say that. Carry on.

20. Silas

He's so cute though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I get what you mean, I wonder if they'll even bring him back next season :/ I think they did a better job with the vampire they added on the Originals (who's also really cute :lol: )