1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT related university sexual assault and acceptance survey

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niagara, May 23, 2018.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I got a very interesting email from my university that they sent out to everyone. It contained a voluntary survey which said it was being used to gather data for administrators to use in order to understand the needs of their LGBT students and improve things for them. It started out asking about things like birth gender, gender identity and sexual orientation (it was impressively specific too, there were tons of options to choose from) then later moved on to asking about sexual assault, if LGBT students feel safe, if they trust the administrators enough to report abuse from students or teachers and stuff like that.

In the fine print of the survey I found something rather concerning though. It said the survey would be anonymous unless there was a group of 5 or more people whose data is linked, showing a trend. If a trend is discovered the anonymity of the linked people would be removed and all of the extremely personal data (going as far into detail as how many sexual experiences and what kind of sexual acts a person has done with each gender) would be attached to your name and studied to try to find what caused the link, like maybe all 5 people saying a teacher was abusive to them are in the same class so the teacher should be fired kind of thing.

Considering many of the people filling out the survey thinking it's anonymous might be in the closet, I can't imagine they would be very happy with complete strangers reading the details of their sexuality and experiences, as well as information about whether they've been sexually assaulted by family, friends, or another student, and knowing exactly who they are because it's linked to their name and student ID picture.

Would you fill out a survey like this? What are your thoughts on the potential for extremely personal secret information to be shared with people like this in an effort to improve overall life for LGBT students?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How big is your uni? Five sounds small.

I would fill it out as long as my actual name or ID wasn't on the final study.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would fill it out. I don't think I would attend a university that I didn't trust to maintain confidential information. I'm always asked about my sexual orientation in my firm's employee satisfaction survey. I always answer.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll do the survey - even if its not anonymous its not like any of the people reading it would know me so it wouldn't bother me much. You don't have to answer all the questions either you can just skip the ones that are too personal if you want to.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much the reason they have that is to handle something serious. So, like how you said, if five students all say in this survey that a specific professor assaulted them...that needs investigated. The university needs to deal with the professor and realize what they can do to better help their students. Yes, some people may be in the closet but more likely than not those people would just be asked to talk to the Dean of Students or someone, not have their names announced to the public.

The anonymity applies to giving information and that information being used for a study. If a concerning trend pops up, the concern takes first priority while still maintaining a level of anonymity to the general public (aka, only certain people would know).

I’d do it, it makes sense to me. I also work with college freshman and sophomores so I know that confidential can’t always mean that. There are certain things that have to be reported if they’re told to you even if told in a confidential setting.

#5 Chierro, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I'd fill it out. But I could see how someone who had negative encounters or experiences might not or would skip those questions.

7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Only if I could be assured of anonymity

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect what they're really talking about boils down to mandatory reporting requirements. For example, if you have five students saying that a given student raped them, or a professor harrassed them... they'd have liability if they didn't do something about it. And given that the survey itself almost certainly went through the school's institutional review board, there are likely protections in place for the circumstance where anonymity is removed.

If you really wanted to know, you could contact the office that originated the survey, ask if it went through the IRB, and if so, ask if you could see the IRB submission documents.