1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT people with autism

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spaceface, Feb 8, 2019.

1. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might be better to say many instead of most. There are plenty of disorders associated with the other 45 chromosomes.

However, it is the case that there are autism-linked genes on the X chromosome. There is a lot of complexity stuffed into that word "linked".

Destin likes this.
  2. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I actually got diagnosed with AS only a matter of months ago and boyy howdyyyy this is quite a time in my life. But, yes, me too apparently.

Also, aw, that Twainbow thing's cute.

Spaceface likes this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can say that again! There's some interesting research looking at the links between autism, ADHD, and early childhood stresses and traumas. This isn't to say it may not have a genetic component, but it appears that it may (like many things) be a combination of a genetic trait, and some epigenetic factor that causes the gene(s) to express.

4. Manyika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I'm also autistic and bisexual.

Meander and Spaceface like this.
  5. Manyika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was informally diagnosed in my early teens they said I can't be really autistic as girls don't have this condition. I was officially diagnosed in my thirties at the end.
    Girls are very very good at mimicking their condition. I learnt every social thing from books, movies, television. How to move, talk, what to do if you want people take you seriously. Body language also from books etc. There were days when I was Meg Ryan ( talk like her, walk like her) other days Julie Andrews etc.

Yes, there are a lots of high functioning autistic around who seemingly fine, but our condition makes us more vulnerable to mental health issues for example. And the treatment also can differ from non-autistic treatment. Also early diagnosis can help in school to find the most suitable education for us etc.

I'm not ashamed but I have a badge what I can wear on the Tube to get a seat when I needed. Although I look fine, crowded places easily run me into a meltdown.
    This is why I always take the bus or walk and only use the crowded tube when I really need to.

Oliverrrrr likes this.
  6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really surprised you were told it wasn't possible for women to have autism. It's my understanding that it's way less common than for men, but it does happen.

7. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Commenting on this thread as I think it's a particularly useful one, and would very usefully be made sticky. Apologies in advance for thread necromancy.

I arrived here as part of a quest to reframe my experience of myself in the light of LGBTQIA+ and a newly self diagnosed ASD(ish).

I must say that everything I've read that is current suggests that there are just as many women with Au as men. Women and girls seem to fail many of the current tests though as they learn masking behaviours from an early age. This should be no surprise living as we do (still, very much) in a patriarchal society.

Another point that is worth being aware of is that the DSM and changes to it do not always reflect reality. For instance, the DSM recently chose to abandon Aspergers as a syndrome. Apparently it is just a form of autism now. Tell that to my very Aspy cousin who without a doubt has a bunch of behaviours that are specific to the 'previous' Aspergers diagnosis. The help she received as a result of her diagnosis was not only very focused but also very helpful to her, as in completely life changing. To abandon Aspergers seems to be a very odd decision by practitioners who only look in from the outside rather than attempting to support and improve the experience of real people with the condition. If I were to make a prediction I'd say it's very likely that it will be readmitted in a future amendment.

I'll certainly pick up that book Chip mentioned previously, another worth reading though is The Autistic Brain by Temple Goldin - herself an autistic Phd level biologist.

8. IronGospel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I’m high functioning, not really enough to be a problem but enough to have the symptoms and some hinderances.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, what actually happened was, upon further analysis, we figured out that Asperger's is no different than high-functioning autism. DSM-5 replaced the previous diagnostic criteria with spectrums, so instead of black-and-white, 'you have this or you don't", in DSM-5, there are ranges of symptoms and severities of disorders. What was formerly known as Asperger's is still quite around, with the same symptom picture, it just has a different name.

[/QUOTE]