1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Jim Crow coming of age(story idea/research tips)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ECMember, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been pondering for a bit about writing an online fiction story. I got this idea of it taking place in Jim Crow Texas maybe early 1960s and going up to early 1970s I'm not sure and the main character is a Hispanic teen(he's bisexual) and he's a crush on a white guy his age. And interactions between themselves and sexual exploration, plus the backdrop of Jim Crow, homophobia, Catholicism(of the Hispanic boy's family), the growing 60s counterculture, the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights Movements.

It could start at 1960 and finish I'd say 1971. I mean I'd rather have the story set in Central Texas, semi-rural setting like Waco or San Marcos and not a large urban city like Houston or Dallas or San Antonio.

I don't know if any scholars here could point me out to some LGBT texts that cover the Jim Crow era I could appreciate it.

I've read a few texts on LGBT history such as Stonewall and Gay New York but no texts on LGBT Texas History. I mean we all agree that there probably was some interracial same sex interactions during Jim Crow.