1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dauntless, May 10, 2012.

1. Nightwing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Anyone know good stories abOut men and wOmen who transform to the opposite sex through magic or whatnot like Ranma manga. I love that kind of stuff

2. Phantosmiac

There was a book that I never finished, I will have to look for it. The main character changed gender often overnight, without out his/her control. I will look it up and see if I can find it and post the name.

3. Nightwing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would Appreciate it. Thanks

4. Waterlilly

They are not specifically LGBT, but the Door into Shadow, Door into Fire, and Door into Sunset trilogy by Diane Duane are really great. They take place in a fantasy world where homosexual relationships are completely ordinary and common. It is just nice to read about a world where love is the important thing and everyone is pretty much bisexual.

5. Phantosmiac

Ah Hah! I found it! I am warning you though, this is an old one. It is called The Revenants by Sheri S. Tepper.

6. Nightwing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you!

7. Phantosmiac

No problem :grin:

8. IrishLad93

Theres a book called The Absolutist, not Fantasy or magic related, although its a Very good book. Its by the same author of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Its about a British soldier who is gay during WWI and basically goes through the love he has of a fellow soldier and what he has to deal with on the front, such as the battle of the Somme, on top of being gay in such a homophobic society. Very action packed, very gripping, very emotional, romantic and sad.

Very good book though. Opens your eyes to the terrible tragedies of the past. I was completely submersed in it! :thumbsup:

9. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Geared towards young adults, I found it to be a very good read.

Goodreads.com

"A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire SÁenz. Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be."

10. jsmurf

Dorian Grey is one of my favorite lgtb books.. although you have to read between the lines to get that. :wink:

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2012 at 03:22 PM ----------

Also, I'm currently reading Gore Vidal's Burr, and although it's for the most part historical fiction based exclusively on early 19th century US politics, there are alot of subtly humorous allusions to republican "gentlemen's clubs", and the notion that women weren't, shall we say, 'desired' by most of the esteemed men. :lol::grin:

#50 jsmurf, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. IanGallagher

I have a script that will probably be made for Universal Studios. Big budgeted, fits into the mold of what Hollywood likes to have in a film, everyone who's read it loves it, and it's bound to earn at least half a billion dollars at box office if done correctly.

That said, I think it will give me leeway to do what I want next. And there's a couple of stories that I think really needs to be told. But, the next adaptation which I've started on today? An ACCURATE portrayal of male bisexuality on film.

[​IMG]

The movie was previously produced by an independent studio with absolutely nothing but the character names in common from the book. This? I really want it to remain true. I've fallen in love with both a guy and girl at the same time - like what happens here. And know how that goes. The book really did a perfect job at capturing that and I want to just bring what the book did to life on the screen.

The book is basically the book about a guy who's grown up all his life questioning his sexuality and holding it that he's straight falls in love with another guy after graduation and afterwards a girl which further complicates matters.

I'm really aiming for this to be a lot like 'Shelter' and 'Latter Days' in that the scripts for those films are a lot more powerful and true it seems to the human spirit than the plethora of straight made romantic tales. It's just a film that, I think, needs to be made.

For those who haven't read it, I seriously recommend it because it really is an honest portrayal of the complexities bisexuals, pansexuals, polysexuals, etc often face.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't read the book yet, but from some of the reviews I have read, Malarky by Anakana Schofield seems to fit well.

13. hatterMfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Rainbow Boys trilogy by Alex Sanchez. Well any of his books really.
    Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle
    From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun by Jacqueline Woodson

14. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey

soooooooo good. About the daughter of a man who was genetically engineered by the government. She has wolf DNA! (i love wolves), is queer and lives in a futuristic dystopia USA. And she trains as a boxer.......

basically has all the elements of a novel I would like

-girl with wolf DNA
    -dystopian thriller
    -sports story
    -lesbians

ya, basically, the content of my dreams :slight_smile:

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read a really good LGBT book called 'Graceful Waters' by Verda Foster and BL Miller. You can download it as an e-book (you have to pay) or buy it online. It's a really, really great story about a girl who has gone off the rails and ends up in a girls' bootcamp where she basically has to turn her life around (and fall in love in the process).

16. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I haven't read that many LGBT books although I read a lot. I have red Fingersmith though which was quite amazing and Fried Green Tomatoes :grin:
    When my brother was coming out I know that he was reading Desert Sons which helped him a lot :slight_smile:

17. mickie newton

Here are two great books:

Same Sex In The City by Lauren Blitzer and Lauren Leven A great for anyone newly out, thinking of coming out or has even been out for a while!

Love Speaks Its Name edited by J.D. McClatchy A lovely book of select poems by gay men and women poets

18. alwayshope11

The God Box by Alex Sanchez is great and One Teacher in Ten is good for gay teachers!

19. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Orlando by virginia woolf :slight_smile:

20. mickie newton

Oh forgot Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters the BBC series was very good too :slight_smile: