1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dauntless, May 10, 2012.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If by superior you mean the movie is better, I’ll have to disagree there. The movie was fantastic, but the book was still better. And not sure what you mean by offensive.

Since I haven’t seen it mentioned yet...What If It’s Us comes out this October. It’s written by Becky Albertalli (of Simon) and Adam Silvera. Pretty much, two of the best LGBT YA authors right now collaborating on an LGBT YA novel. It should be amazing!

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have wanted that for a while! It sounds so good!

3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TF? How would your even parents be remotely aware that they would want to confiscate such a book?

4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    the Something Like Series has over 13 books now.

5. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ooh I'll have to read it.
    Me neither, I just heard someone describe it as insensitive.

6. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Has anyone read LGBT history books?

In my US since the Great Depression History course I read Stonewall by David Carter. Covered the background of LGBT life in NYC pre-stonewall in the about the 1st half of the book, then jumps to the Stonewall riots in 69 and a bit of the aftermath.

In my US metropolitian history course I read Gay New York by George Chauncey. A gay life in NYC pre-WWII era and how it was a well adapted space constructed in NYC.

7. Avian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some YA books I love are The Gentlemen's Guide To Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee and In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan
    These two books both feature a bisexual protagonist. Another good book is The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson, which features a trans protagonist.

8. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My history class's textbook has a few little blips on lgbt history, including Stonewall, and it's pretty nice to see because it really shows that things are progressing.

Anyway, about book recommendations, I'd recommend Kyell Gold's books. Some of them are rated mature, but not all of them, and they're all great reads from what I've read so far and what I've heard.

There's a book called Parrotfish written by a trans guy about some of his life, and that one's supposed to be pretty good too (I just got the Kindle sample but haven't read it yet).

For advice and stuff, and heck, for the sass and humor and kindness in it, Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens was a good read. It's very informative, it's funny, it's comforting, and it covers all kinds of stuff from coming out to relationships and red flags and safety, and it includes little blips of the authors' experiences as well as some lgbt history (ex: funny stories, good and bad dating experiences, their experiences with parents and peers, history of stuff like the word lesbian's origin, Stonewall, Harvey Milk, and the origin the rainbow pride flag).

9. Avian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the recommendation! I started reading this book and it’s really helpful and humorous.

10. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're welcome! The part about the bad date is pretty damn funny (the comic type of thing with one of the people being gross (slurping noodles whilemeating hem with her hands, and having bare feet) while the other person is making this grossed out face, it's hilarious. And the part where it says something about somebody shoving fries up his nose and pretending to be a walrus...oml x'D I can't remember where that last part is in the book tho, but yeah the humor is great in that book.

11. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I mentioned this here yet but Symptoms of Being a Human by Jeff Garvin. It is soooooo good

12. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Song of Achilles IS amazing. One of my favorite queer novels too.

13. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ohhh wait I just remembered a graphic novel (which I typically don't read) but was really good. It was called Tomboy by Liz Prince.

14. Homeslice1

Homeslice1 Guest

So Simon vs the homospians agenda was the book that recently had the movie love, Simon made and it’s about a closeted gay boy. But Becky made a new book about his besf friend Leah and the book is called Leah the offbeat and it’s explores a bisexual relationship

15. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's also a third one called "The Upside of Unrequitted" that follows his friend Abby's twin cousins, one of whom is a lesbian.

16. Kamaline

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've read an amazing book about a lesbian love story called "Den Mund voll ungesagter Dinge" by Anne Freytag. Sadly, it is only available in german (at least as far as I know), but if anyone is familiar with this language, I can only recommend it.

17. Fury

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just finished reading "Solve For i" by A E Dooland. It's about a math whiz who is just starting to realize she's gay. It's written in first person, and the author really nails what it's like to have crippling social anxiety. Her thought processes are so similar to mine that I've never identified with a fictional character more.

18. booklover2

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently picked up a book on Amazon by Sophie Walker called An unexpected Lesson. I really enjoyed it!

It was a nice uplifting coming out story, with believable emotions from the main character. The romance between the two women was written really well and I enjoyed the relationship with the mum as well.

It's an easy read but I'd definitely recommend it! (Good for reading on the beach with your feet up)

19. Pink Blue

Somewhere on this tiny rock we call Earth
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "The long way to a small, angry planet" and its sequel "A closed and common orbit" by Becky Chambers.

They're sci-fi stories about a spaceship crew that's made up of individuals from all sorts of different cultures and species. The second book isn't a direct continuation of the first but rather a story of self discovery concerning one character, and the story of another's origin.

The LGBT themes aren't the centerpiece of the story, but in painting a picture of a very open minded universe, and in showing the challenges and rewards of communication and love between characters of different backgrounds and different species, these novels really have a lot to say about how we could be handling different sexual orientations and different genders if we were a smarter species.

20. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Any of you all read We Boys Together by Jefferey Dennis. It examines same-sex teen boy relationships prior, during WWII, post WWII years. It tackles the argument that the 1950s stereotype of heteronormative boys meet girl bs, and argues that there it had been acceptable and encouraged for boys to have same-sex male relationship(not really sexual I may say) but somewhat of a romantic/platonic bond.