1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk golf shirts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Jun 28, 2017.

?

Golf shirts are...

1. Masculine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gender neutral

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Feminine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Androgynous

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (See comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious to see the general consensus on whether a golf shirt is seen as feminine, androgynous or masculine.

My mom and I had a talk yesterday and she said she wants me to start dressing more neatly, especially at work. My workplace is pretty casual and they generally don't care what you wear, as long as you're decent and not in your pj's, lol. I asked her if she means I should rather wear golf shirts than t-shirts and she said that golf shirts are too masculine and she wants me to wear more feminine clothes in general.

Now, with me being a tomboy, I don't "do" feminine clothes. Yes, I wear women's clothes but not feminine clothes. I don't care anyway, because I dress for comfort, not style. Some may say I'm a slob but I don't really care because, like I said, I dress for comfort. What would be your initial thoughts if you saw a short-haired woman in jeans and a golf shirt walking around? Would you immediately think she's a butch lesbian or something else? Meaning, do you think golf shirts are more masculine than neutral or feminine? I know you get men's and women's golf shirts, but I have a fairly long torso so the ladies' golf shirts are almost always too short. I have a golf shirt with my union's logo on it, that I wear from time to time and my mom doesn't complain about it, yet she reckons golf shirts are too masculine??? I really don't get it, so what's YOUR take on golf shirts?

2. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My work uniform is collared shirts (golf shirts mainly), jeans, and closed toed shoes. I have short hair and wear very much little makeup. I can't speak for others views on me, but no one (customers included) have ever commented on my appearance.

I am in the same boat as you in that women's golf shirts do not come close to fitting (seriously women are not box shaped we need a little length in the shirts also!) so I order the men's version.

I think the style is so gender neutral, especially in a work setting that the majority of people will think nothing of it.

3. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for this. I also think it's gender neutral, since you get men's and women's shirts. Whichever of the two someone chooses to wear/feel comfortable in, shouldn't dictate their sexual preferences. I hate stereotypes

4. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem! I am a big believer that if you aren't comfortable in your appearance beginning with the clothes you were, it will affect your happiness and interactions.

For example, I am with you in that I am just not comfortable in traditional feminine clothing. There was a long period of my life when I kept trying to wear in fashion girly shirts (don't really know a way to describe them) and I was just so incredibly uncomfortable it oozed from me.

One of the stops on my ongoing road to happiness was getting the courage to say screw society, I am going to create my own style and live comfortably.

At the end of the day, no one should be allowed to dictate what makes you an individual.

5. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way. I want to rather create my own unique look than blend in. I own one or two more feminine tops, and have gotten compliments when wearing them, yet I never feel comfortable in them. Most of the shirts I own are some sort of t-shirt fabric, and vary in lengths and cut. I bought 3 printed t-shirts about a year ago, but they're too small, and I bought it at a flea market so cannot exchange them. But that's okay. I'm losing weight now so hopefully they will fit me within a year, provided I keep losing weight.

One of them is a black tee with an ACDC theme, the other is also a black tee with a bloody Superman logo and the third one is a grey tee with a John Deere logo. My mom's not too crazy about the grey one, she reckons it's too masculine. See a pattern here yet? Seriously, what the fuck does it matter anyway? If I had long hair and a slim body, would she still feel that way? There are some shirts that I'd also like to buy, but have to save up some cash first (AND find a store that sells them, lol). It's Ecko Unltd. shirts. My cousin's girlfriend has a nice one, so maybe I should ask her where she bought hers... Lol

#5 Ruby Dragon, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017