1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian stereotypes

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Also when she left work for another job she had a leaving do. We set off from work at around 5.30 and didnt get to the pub till later as it was in another town. We cant have had more than 2 drinks and she came upto me and said that she loved me!. Rather unexpected to say the least as we didnt get on very well and certainly were not friends or anything like that.I wondered for ages if it was drink talking but she wasnt drunk because it was early on not like 2am. I think it probably was somewhere near the truth.
    Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent there.

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And here is what lesbians talk about (stats from the OK dating site):

[​IMG]

Apparently I am really, really gay in my interests. :lol: Also Saved By The Bell was an awesome show, I had a total crush on Kelly too haha!

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not, apparently. Never watched The L Word. But Saved By The Bell was great :slight_smile:

4. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like about half of these. L Word, Hatry Potter, Tori Amos, Saved by the Bell (though I was into Jessie), cats, dogs, sex, etc. Not a lot of the more recent pop culture since I no longer have TV (I do Netflix L Word, though).

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha, I don't talk about most of these. I'm not even aware of what some of these are. I didn't like the L word tbh.

My most talked subject from this list is probably writing, but I also like animals/pets, drama, and so on. I'm single so I don't talk about girlfriends a lot. And I only talk about sex in a logical/intellectual way (Mostly with my asexual friend, who only has intellectual interest in it).

6. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know camping was a stereotype till this year, not sure how I missed that. I loooovvee camping and fishing , but don't know anyone else who does. Camping by yourself is ackward, and can be a bit intimidating. LOL used to camp all the time with my BFF from childhood, the one I still have a huge crush on.

7. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, yes, that list makes me feel extra gay. :grin: I love that so many of those were my interests while in the closet when I didn't know that they were lesbian stereotypes to try to censor them out of myself. :grin:

8. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A lot of lesbian stereotypes people mention on the internet are just too American for me I think... Like I'm not sure the L word was ever on TV over here (or at least not our great free TV - why would I pay for TV when we have BBC and ITV and Channel4?). The first show in which I saw lesbians was the soap opera Eastenders, which is a daily show about a loada cockneys just living their lives. They were not glamorous like the L word... like they chose the most pathetic character. And the closest thing to the L word was maybe Lip Service (which is probably better quality TV tbh though I've only seen like 2 eps). And wtf is U-Haul?

Bought some mens desert boots in this distressed brown colour yesterday though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#48 SHACH, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I struggle with the American references too. U-Haul was covered earlier in the thread - a removal company, I think.

I can remember watching Sugar Rush years ago. I think that was on Channel 4.

10. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sugar Rush, cool. Tbh I know very few lesbian British TV shows too. I'm on the Later in Life forum here but as you can see on the side I'm just 18. So I know there was Tipping the Velvet when I was 4 (too young), Sugar Rush when I was 7 (too young), and Naomily on Skins when I was 11, but I wasn't allowed up late enough normally to see Skins so I never knew about that. The Eastenders one I saw when I was 5 because that's at an early time and its something you watch with your family and all. (I remember my mum asked me if I knew what gay meant after that episode and I did but I just ran and hid behind the sofa I was super stressed out). Lip Service I saw a bit of. Then I was too busy wathing anime for about 4 years haha. I just started watching Tipping the Velvet today, and I watched Skins gen2 this Easter. I'm glad at least I have these things yet to watch because I get really fed up of watching loads of American shows like OITNB for my gay fix. I want that nervous Britishness.

Talking American though, Buffy was on British TV really early in the day when I was like 5. I really really really wish I had committed to watching it. I just had little interest because I thought girls were annoying (I did not see myself as one) hence I didn't care for Buffy and I thought her boyfriend was super annoying and yeah it just bored me with the American high school stuff. Forgive me, I had a short attention span, I was 5.

And oooooo U-Haul's a removal company. Okay, for some reason I thought it was like B&Q and they were like, looking to like... decorate the house lovingly as soon as they moved in. The removal company thing makes more sense.

#50 SHACH, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  11. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live much closer to Britain than I do to America, but out of all this I have only watched a bit of Eastenders. I am a bad European I guess, because I much prefer American media to anything from around here, with the exception of some German TV like Tatort (kind of like Germany's CSI, much better than the American version) and my secret guilty pleasure: Verbotene Liebe ("Forbidden Love", super teen drama, as the name suggests also contains lots of gay stuff). Also Misfits (UK) was a pretty good one even though I am not usually into super hero stuff, nothing gay about that one though.

Buffy was OK I guess, but I watched it for Willow. :slight_smile: Nerdy girls steal my heart every time.

This made me laugh way too much!! :lol:

So, what about music? Does anyone else here listen to Tegan and Sara and Ani Difranco?

12. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well yeah, I wish I had watched long enough to see Willow with her whole gay thing. But as I said, I had like a 5 minute attention span so I don't think I ever watched long enough to even know Willow's name.

I have listened to Ani DiFranco but I don't regularly - I think I have one song of hers on my "lesbosexy playlist". Don't like Tegan and Sara. The gayest stuff I listen to, as in regualarly and buy albums and such, is Bikini Kill and Patti Smith.

13. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Watched the L word. A more recent show I like is Orange is the New Black.
    Finding nemo / harry potter / writing - yes for me

I love cats.
    Not into sports. Not into fixing things but like cooking/baking
    Not butch looking
    Like wearing sports sandals - not sure if that makes me look gay