1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian married to a man

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bellflower, Mar 7, 2020.

1. LaraB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I have some close friends, and apart from that he is being very understanding and supportive. It's hard because I don't know how they feel about it and I have been very close with them and don't have much contact with my own parents. I will reach out to them at some point when I'm feeling a bit stronger.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it’s easy to assume the worst case scenario. You’ve had a good relationship with them in the past so hopefully they will be understanding. Giving them some time to get used to the idea could be a positive thing.

LaraB likes this.
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey @Bellflower

Have you floated the idea of an open marriage with your husband? He could be just as unsatisfied as you are and staying in the marriage for the same reasons as you.

a family “unit” can really seem like something that should take precedent over everything. Of course the raising of children is pretty much the most important thing a society does.

But, there are many ways to do this and over time there are examples of families that blend due to hardships such as war or illness. Often economic reasons. All responses fit to something bad.

Maybe it’s about time we looked at untraditional family units as a solution to a “good” problem? Maybe the family unit needs to consider the parents needs too and provide a basis for them to grow. That’s good for the kids too.

It is possible to construct this family situation where you can find a soulmate, your husband too, without disrupting everything at once...if that is what is holding you back. It will take a lot of communication with your husband and I believe it requires that you and your husband both truly do want the best for each other based on love.

I know this idea can seem crazy during a pandemic. But, maybe it is possible to move forward in small steps?

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has there been any negative reaction from his family so far? Do you have any form of support network?