1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian but had crushes on guys before?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by doli, Apr 29, 2018.

1. doli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First i apologize if you have hard time reading this because of my english :slight_smile:

I have been ignoring and not accepting myself as a not heterosexual for my whole life. Recently i have started to identify and accept myself as a lesbian rather than bisexual. But the thing is i have had crushes on guys when i was little and a preteen but after that not. Now when i think about that i know that they probably weren't romantic attraction but maybe rather than that, attraction to their psycical looks (sexual attraction??). But let's say this here. I do not want to have sex with guys even if it was sexual attraction or physical attraction, whatever you want to call it :grin: But that leads me to question my sexuality, my history of my crushes. Do you think i can still identify as a lesbian even with a history like that? Or should i call myself bisexual instead? I still do think that i fit more so lesbian label than bisexual because in the future i wish to have a wife etc... rather than a husband. Soooo. What do you think i should label myself as? I am comfortable with identifying myself as a lesbian but i am afraid other people will bring up my history so maybe i should call myself bi? Or should i just not care about them? And i am not out to almost anyone because i have just now started to accept myself. That's why i'm thinking about this because people want labels :frowning2:

RebeccaK likes this.
  2. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the odd crush when you were young is perfectly normal, you were figuring things out and who doesn’t find a good looking man attractive, we can all see attractive people but it’s feeling more than that, that counts. I think you are perfectly within your rights to label yourself lesbian if that’s how you feel. Some even date men before they come out and identify lesbian. You do you.

Ruby Dragon and LostInDaydreams like this.
  3. Lex M

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that its completely normal, I had the same experience. When I was younger I only had crushed on guys, probably because i was expected to like guys and didn't have the option to like girls. Then when I started to go through puberty I started to be attracted to girls. I hope that helps, and don't pay attention to other peoples opinions, just be comfortable with your self.

kkou and RebeccaK like this.
  4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's the #1 sign for us.

That's the #1 lesson for you.

I could say more, but I would just repeat @Lia444 and @LexM, who gave good advice. (As usual.)

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We live in a world where people expect others to fit in a box, but you don't have to, really. You can just be you and like who you like. If you are only interested in women right now and want a long term partner as a woman that's great. Having liked men before does not invalidate your feelings for women. So what if you liked some guys? So what if you might again one day? All that matters is you're happy. If you settling down with a woman makes you happy, then do that. You don't have to defend your reasons or attractions to anybody. And if anyone has a problem with that they're not worth your time.

kkou, RebeccaK and Lia444 like this.
  6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No one is 100% straight, 100% Bi, or 100% gay. We are all on a sexuality spectrum that can change as we age. If you don't feel like you want to be with a man romantically or sexually, then that sounds pretty lesbian to me, but label yourself however you wish to fit what you want in that current moment.

kkou, Love4Ever and amylase like this.
  7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So this. You just do you. :slight_smile:

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I echo what the others have said - You sound like you're a lesbian to me. Just because you've had (sexual) attractions to guys before, doesn't mean you're not a legitimate lesbian. I personally know a lesbian who were out as lesbian for many years, and then decided she wants a child. So, she had sex with a man (obviously, lol). It doesn't make her any less of a lesbian just because she engaged in heterosexual sex. So don't be so hard on yourself. Do what makes you happy. And if you feel comfortable calling yourself a lesbian, go for it! :slight_smile:

Steve FS likes this.
  9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say go for the label that best describes your dating preferences. That would make it easier to navigate . But in all honesty, a lot of people are like that. Somewhere on the bi spectrum, not neccesarily embracing both sides of it, or preferring one side largely because it feels better.