1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving hints...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SwirlingOcean, Jun 10, 2013.

1. SwirlingOcean

Has anyone tried just leaving hints until your family asks you? I want to tell my parents but I just can't see myself sitting them down and having a formal conversation like I did with my friends and my sister. Not that it was formal but it was definitely an "okay I have something to tell you tomorrow" kind of a thing. I can't take all the anxiety of waiting for the "right moment." It feels like it could be any time. Like I'm waiting for a bomb to drop on my head.

Even though I didn't know I was gay until a few weeks ago, I've left hints all my life. I was SO into the LGBTQIA movement. They are all well aware of how on top of queer issues I am. Those kind of hints weren't even apparent to me. So now I've just begun leaving them on purpose.

Yesterday I went shopping with my mom and I got men's body spray for myself instead of women's. I've always liked the smell of men's cologne better. Today when she asked about the movie I saw last night I made it a point to say that I really like the actress Michelle Rodriguez. I'm gonna keep going this way and see where it goes.

I kinda feel like a coward but, I don't know. I guess this way is less stressful for me. Has anyone else done this and if so, did THEY ask YOU about being gay? Did it work? How long did it take? What kind of hints did you drop?

2. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been trying the same techniques, but they haven't worked yet (as far as I know). Im trying to be a little subtle at least. I hope it works out for you!

3. BadCanadaJoke

Hints don't work! I've watched every musical like 20 times, glee twice, i even said mat bomer is hot. Nothing! My mum was still shocked when i told her.
    i once had a very heated argument with my parents about adoption
    I can recite when harry met sally without watching the movie, for crying out loud....
    I guess doing every stereotypically gay thing you can think of is not a good idea. Just come out! :slight_smile:)

(p.s. this is a joke,i don't believe in stereotyping people or hobbies,music etc. K thnx)

4. Maea96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents through a text message on the cellphone.
    They told me that they could talk if I wanted to say something, anytime.
    But I don't feel the need to/it would be awkward.

Trust me, you're not a coward at all :slight_smile: Find your way of coming out. But just don't rush it if you're not ready, and think it through.

#4 Maea96, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. Hexagon

Oh yes. It never worked. People can be as blind as they want to be.

6. SwirlingOcean

Yeah, I guess parents see what they want to see. Well, I'm just not gonna hold anything back I guess. So my hints will just be letting me be myself. I'm gonna try not to worry and be so constantly conscious about it.

7. If you want to leave a really unsubtle hint, just leave this site open in the browser on the computer. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 10:30 PM ----------

http://gas.gas.car.truck.mftr

8. lukeluvznicki13

I'm slowly trying to drop hints with some of my friends x]
    i guess it takes time before they would ask or they just don't want to hurt your feelings and won't bother in case they think that they are wrong about me x]

9. bscott92

The subtle hints generally don't work, because most people don't want to ask you if they're not sure. It could just be awkward if you say you're not. I just tell people that I have something I'd like to talk to them about (via text or email or phone) and then they ask me about it the next time I see them. Then I can't get out of it really...which is a good thing.