1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leading group

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MtnFr3sh, Jun 9, 2016.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys, this didn't necessarily fit in with the support and advice section, but if some admin reads it and thinks it does feel free to move it.

So I'm at this summer camp. It's basically nerd camp on a major university's campus. Students in highschool take classes pertaining to their classes in the following year, our camp focuses on Math and Science. Now our nerd camp is unique and an exception to the stereotype. We compete in an Academic bowl against other programs and always sweep awards. We also compete in sports and do well. That's because we have a variety of students in our program. Not just 'nerds' but just anybody perusing a future in Math and Science who are college bound.

Members who graduate highschool are welcome to reapply to take part in the Bridge program where you take two college classes and get full credit. Fully paid for by the program.

Well I got in.

So this year the students in the Bridge program have stepped up a whole lot. We're basically like the Resident Advisors this year, but we don't have AS many responsibilities.

So each bridge student (there are 7 this year) is leading a group of students in not really group therapy, or group hang out, just kind of talking to them and mentoring them. Those 45 minutes I have with these 6 kids are brutal because 3 of the girls won't talk and the 2 students from previous years don't really take me seriously because they've known me. (1 other new guy, he's fine though)

I don't really know what I can do to help bring us together. Our first day we played two truths and a lie, then human knot to try to break the ice. There's more like a tiny scratch in the ice since the newer students aren't comfortable and I don't really know what to discuss with them because our program director hasn't given us guidelines yet.

So I need help on how to not make this time so cripplingly boring for them because I'm bored and stressing trying to make this decent so I know they're bored. (their being on phones is also an indicator) I've let them know that they can come to me with anything outside of group without judgment. I played ping-pong with one of the girls who has almost never played and she beat me. So we had fun doing that but we don't have access to games or anything like that during our group time.

We've discussed future college plans, majors, addressed concerns about college, all of that. So I don't really know what else I can talk about.

Anybody want to share their experiences in a way that might help me out? or offer advice? Please... I'm dying over here because some groups have already opened up with eachother about life stories and stuff and I honestly don't think my group will get to that point...

2. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    man i was going to say do an icebreaker, but it seems you already did that. you might want to start one that can open up a conversation, trust building excercises might make them a bit uncomfortable. You can try an icebreaker that revolves around what you guys share in common or, teach them through it with lessons you planned. Sometimes when you're leading, you have to get a bit creative so they won't get bored with the situation you're in.
    You can also revise what you want to say when you're mentoring them, try to understand them and teach them what they want to know. You might have a clue about it if you think about what you wanted to know in that situation. Sure, it looks a bit overwhelming at first, but that's what it takes to lead (some might have better opinions or advice on this, though this is based on my experience). Don't be too shy to let people know that you're driven (or motivated). Hope this helps a bit.