1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late to the party...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Siananigen, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Siananigen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi All!
    At 39 years old, I've finally come to accept the fact that I am bisexual. I've been trying to deny my attraction to women for years, and did the get married / have kids thing (I have a 6 yo boy & 3 yo girl), but I've finally admitted to myself that I'm more sexually attracted to women than men (although I do still find men attractive). I'm still married but separated from my husband, and really just looking to find people to chat to & connect with. I'm based in Melbourne, Australia.
    Needless to say I'm very nervous about all of this, and am yet to tell my family or friends. Any suggestions on coming out are welcome! I think most of them will be supportive, but I just get super anxious with the idea of telling them - I think that's part of the reason I took as long as I did to come to terms with my bisexuality, I tend to avoid difficult conversations & it so was easier to be straight.
    Anyway, enough about me! Nice to 'meet' you all!

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

You will find plenty of people on here in similar situations, but at different stages of the process. Me included.

You may want to check out the ‘Later in Life’ section, as that’s where you’ll find most posts on coming out, etc. when married, with children, but do check out the whole forum and post where you like.

Congrats on the progress that you’ve made so far. And for posting here!

3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A warm welcome to EC, I came out at 42 so I'm even later than you!! I'm a guy, I have three children and came out 12 months ago. Have lived alone past three months and started dating guys so anything is possible. You have come here to a great place.
    Jon

4. Maldoone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    I came out to close family, (my wife), and survived the storm that followed. I'm still with her, and as I'm a decade or so ahead of you, that suits me. My brother is openly gay, has been for 30 years; but he's not supportive in this. I'm seriously scared of being ejected onto the street, and don't expect too much sympathy from close friends, whose reaction to my revelation wasn't positive. That said, I'm happier that I came out to me, because the internal angst has gone. And that's got to be a good thing. I've been talking with Rade, he's been great. We're a few years apart, but very similar situation - he's a little further on than me... welcome to EC, it's been a nice place to go in the last year.

5. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your a great guy Maldoone xx

6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome! You are not too old by any means. Good grief, you are a baby. I am an old man (63 years old) and just came out. Coming out is a very personal experience. Just accepting your sexuality is quite an accomplishment. Bravo! Please take your time about telling others. You are just coming to terms about who you truly are. I am sure that you will know in your heart when you are ready to open up and confide in others. The good folks here at EC will be here to offer any guidance or support you need.

7. Maldoone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I second all of that! When people to talk with are few or non-existent, EC is a haven. It's a different world to our early years; with more coverage on media channels, and sensitive handling by film producers (even on Star Trek Netflix), more straight folks are beginning to understand. Which is what surprised me when I told a few friends. Complete incomprehension - but that's OK. All we need is acceptance. It's not like we're different people. [Hmmm. That's probably the most common reaction I've had - "I though I knew you, but I obviously don't" which doesn't hurt.....not at all] ….

8. Siananigen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I’m so glad I found this site :slight_smile: