1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lady Gaga

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pepsi, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Beachboi92

metal pop…. i'm not sure what that is supposed to sound like

2. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]JMLjg89e4BI[/YOUTUBE]

Like Bliix Mixes!

3. MusicMan12

Ready for the Born This Way Ball!?

4. Allecto

So there's a Tumblr called Gays against Gaga. What are your thoughts on it?

I think they make a few good points, but 99% they're full of shit.

5. MusicMan12

SO EXCITED FOR THE BORN THIS WAY BALL!!!! Gaga's description of it sounds amazing:

"THE BORN THIS WAY BALL is an Electro-Metal Pop-Opera; the tale of the Beginning, the genesis of the Kingdom of Fame. How we were birthed and how we will die celebrating.”

Unfortunately she won't be in North America til next year

6. maverick

I love the song "Marry the Night".

That is all. :thumbsup:

7. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Love her song You & I. My mom listens to Lady G all the time so I am starting to dig her music more and more.

8. TruffleDude

9. MusicMan12

I disagree with that article on so many levels...while some gay people may think she is exploiting our community, I don't think the majority is starting to "turn on her" like that article says...I DON'T think she is exploiting gay people, but even if she was, at least she's bringing the issue to the forefront of many people's minds. But no, I don't think a "Lady Gaga Backlash" is beginning...:dry:

10. Allecto

That article is from 2011, broseph.

I listen to less popular queer musicians. I also like Gaga. You don't need to choose one or the other.

11. TruffleDude

The date does not make it any less relevant, unless those opinions mentioned in the article have since been recanted. I found it interesting to read that some in the community were less than thrilled about her "Born This Way" video. Diversity of opinion is just as beautiful as diversity of anything else. In particular, I was struck by the reasons that people in the community were upset with the video.

I also listen to pop, up-and-coming, and local.

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

If a backlash has begun, its not taken full effect yet. Clearly she has a strong following in the community. This thread has the highest number of replies in the "Entertainment" section of EC. I agree that it is important that she is bringing issues to the forefront. Exposure, in particular positive exposure, is a good thing. I think that the article mentioned that some in the gay community were unhappy with the monster/freak/outcast=gay allusion, and felt this was an unfair connection to make as they consider themselves quite normal folks.

In my mind, what this really comes down to is responsibility in the image presented to the public. If you look at films from the early half of the 20th century it is no wonder the masses considered homosexuality to be a shadowy group of depressed murderers and pedophiles - because that was how gays/lesbians were presented on film.

Did Gaga present an image of gays that will ultimately cause less acceptance by mainstream America? I don't know, and we probably will not for a while. Maybe she did the opposite.

#1931 TruffleDude, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  12. Beachboi92

The article and that blog against Gaga is sort of disappointing to see for me personally but the blog is at least an interesting view into the LGBT counter culture movement which seems to reject all "gay" things.

The Article i very much dislike mostly because it makes a lot of sweeping general statements about the LGBT community and our opinions without any hard evidence to support what is obviously an opinion piece by an author with no real credibility for speaking on the subject. I wouldn't have such an issue with it except for it is very obviously a personal opinion piece trying to be passed off as something else and even as an opinion piece it lacks any solid evidence or statistics for it's claims.

As for the Blog against Lady Gaga and what appears to just be a blog generally against Gay culture, it is in my opinion an interesting view of gay counter culture. It is disingenuous of the author to say (as he does in the blog) that Gay Culture isn't made up of things like Logo and Gaga because in reality culture exists in reality and in messages, media, and assorted other things that are directed towards or deemed a part of a group of people. It is more that the movement against these things is simply a counter culture that the blog takes part in.

My problem with both however is that they base our acceptance in the idea that we should have to project a "normal" or what is deemed a "positive" image to straight people or that things currently associated with gay culture are less than or bad in comparison with things deemed "normal" or "straight." In addition they put no pressure on society to acknowledge it's use of media images to stereotype groups of people as dangerous wrong and bad and in general fail to acknowledge our societies lack of ability to address the issue of stereotyping. Instead they blame the image or person who is being used to project the stereotype for the stereotype and alienate those who do in fact fall into roles deemed stereotypical, extreme, or on the outside. But in general i have issues with the glorification of "straight acting" or "normal" in any culture or community because i think it is a bullshit thing that people have been mind fucked into believing is superior by a heterosexual culture that really just needs to get over itself.

13. Allecto

I think that with the "Little Monsters" movement, Gaga is reclaiming the term monster. She refers to herself as Mother Monster and talks about how it's supposed to be a safe space for outcasts. It's basically, "Yeah, we are weird. Fuck you."

14. alex7song

I completely agree. Gaga stands for everyone and everything that is different, and she is showing the world that no matter who a person is, we are all one race - humanity. The thing i don't like about the blog page isn't that they have another opinion, but the tone they use is condemning for all of us that like her music and what she stands for. Its not as if everyone likes her, but you have to like the message she is trying to bring across. For example, I don't like Nicki Minaj's music, but she has a very positive message on gay rights, thus I do respect her.

15. TruffleDude

Hell Yea, Gay Counter Culture!

[​IMG]

16. Of Mice and Men

Is there...actually a thread about Lady Gaga? I love life right now.

Anyways, anyone hear about the Born This Way Foundation? I love her even more than originally thought possible.

17. Shevanel

You're on a forum populated mainly by homosexuals. I don't see how this could be a surprise xD

18. Of Mice and Men

Touche. Not exactly used to being able to gush over her without criticism. xD

19. Shevanel

Then luckily I don't post on this thread often :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. alex7song

I not only love that she is trying to help gain acceptance for her LGBT fans, but all encompassing to try to create a better world! She is so amazing :grin: