1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Kindergarten Teacher Bans Boys from Playing with Legos

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Simple Thoughts

Kindergarten Teacher Bans Legos For Boys Citing ‘Gender Equity’ « CBS Seattle

What is even wrong with people anymore? 0.o

I'm serious...I don't even know what to say. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and those poor boys in this classroom. If I were the parents and I found out about this I'd go to above that teachers head and demand she be fired for Gender Discrimination and intolerance. She doesn't deserve to have a job because she's sexist, and uses her power to discriminate.

2. ForeverRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It just makes no sense at all. Gender equity is never achievable by sexism, by definition. I also sense general male inferiority in this teacher's beliefs. She is entitled to her view on the world, but not entitled to force it on others with any kind of leadership/power position.
    We all just need to learn to respect each other equally. Why is that so hard?

3. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    just watching the video my first thought was "oh my gosh, that is idiotic"
    also, isn't it supposed to be "equality" not "equity"? I might just be misunderstanding the words used, but to me "equity" has something to do with money last i knew.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shouldn't gender equity be about letting people do whatever they want? If you force backward stereotypes, that's still enforcing a stereotype.

But these idiots will never figure that out.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too many people use the title of "teacher" without deserving it. <sigh>

6. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's just really twisted. Why do people have to be so twisted? Let the kids play with whatever toys they want. This is a school, not the Stanford prison experiment. Jesus.

7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely agree with this sentiment. Now I'm not saying there aren't good teachers out there, but there certainly are quite a few terrible ones in the world. Those that spout hate, backwards logic, and are horrendously bad at what they do.

Personally, I never really played with Lego at school because I disliked the physical feel of it (I used to play with the smoother wooden building blocks because I liked the feel of them better), often kids would bend them out of shape by trying to fit them into pieces that simply weren't supposed to fit together, and once they got bent out of shape they weren't much use. :dry:

Plus, people would hog them and threaten anyone who dared to go near them or their precious Lego- some kids can get really territorial which I can understand because I know what it's like to spend time working on a sculpture, but it got silly when people used all of the Lego and wouldn't let anyone else play with it for weeks.

So I understand the teacher's point of people hogging it, but I don't think banning an entire gender because of a few certain individual's behaviour is a fair response, it's just silly. I mean, it would've made more sense banning Lego over the amount of fights it creates (or perhaps that was just my school).

Also, the article says how the teacher wants more girls to play with the Legos and building blocks to help with the development of mathematical reasoning, I've never really understood this personally. Is it to do with spatial awareness and perception?

I know I went to a school opening evening once when I was around 10 or 11 years old and I made a tower out of building blocks and a woman commented on the tower and how she guessed I must like maths since I was so good at making such a creative looking tower, and I turned around to her and said "Nah, maths is terrible- I hate maths" little did I know at the time she was the head of the maths department, she was not impressed. XD :lol: :eusa_doh:

Er, sorry- went a little off topic there. :icon_redf

#7 Canterpiece, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know legos had a gender now. Glad I have this tidbit of information now.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since this was from 2015 I looked for an update and found one that said, "Keller claimed she only instituted the "girls only" Lego play for the first month of school to get them interested in the toys. She also said her "hell freezing over" remark was "a casual, off-record aside meant to convey my frustration with the marketing to girls in our society." She said that it was "not appropriate" and "taken out of context." She insisted that every student in her class has access to Legos."

Sounds like she had good intentions, but definitely not the right way to go about it. She could have had a lesson for everyone to build something step by step to try to foster interest in kids who maybe hadn't played with them before.