1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Kiddle: Child-friendly search site bans words including 'bisexual' and 'transgender'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Re: Kiddle: Child-friendly search site bans words including 'bisexual' and 'transgend

Well I just checked the search engine to see whether it blocked LGBT related words and... Nope, they work just dandy.

But surley a kid with sense would just go onto google or something and look it up there if it's not available on this engine.

2. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Kiddle: Child-friendly search site bans words including 'bisexual' and 'transgend

Hey, if it were up to me, nobody under 18 would be allowed to use a computer/tablet/smartphone.

3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

News just in: kindle have removed the 'child friendly' search engine and replaced it with the 'bigot friendly' search engine.:roflmao:

Seriously; information of any kind is beneficial to people of all ages. With children explain EVERYTHING but in age appropriate language.

4. AlexTheGrey

I can think of many things about my life that would have been different had I lived under that sort of ban. I'm having a really hard time finding one difference that would have been better. I wouldn't likely be working with computers, that's for sure.

And I wonder about the impact on communities like this one if we effectively had one of the best means of interacting with each other cut off during critical years of our lives. Which is why I'm glad they've seemingly adjusted to feedback.

The thing with tools like this is that they are meant as a means of supervision in areas where supervision is tough to pull off while also providing a balance with agency, autonomy and privacy. A person isn't magically ready for these things at a certain age, it is more like learning to ride a bike, and taking away the training wheels over time. It's a process, not a gate. And I don't think there is a clear rule we can use to say "at age X, person is ready for Y". We try, because we like simple rules, but it isn't that simple.