1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Karen Pence Accuses Pete Buttigieg Of Attacking Her For Being A Christian

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Apr 11, 2019.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the article:
    ".......comments from South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Karen Pence, wife of VP Mike Pence, said that people “shouldn’t be attacked for what your religious beliefs are” on Tuesday."

I comment:
    Karen (Pence) when your tailored religions beliefs promote bigotry, that's when you'll get push back.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintel...rNFKq2NurFA4vpCFBi5l9LTpWP62th7XmtN4Mo0fNlwe8

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know my mom thinks similarly. Because christians aren't the only visible group, because they aren't the majority, the only ones listened to, she thinks she's persecuted and that "you can't be a christian in this nation anymore". There are a lot of people who think like her, as well. I get such a bad vibe hearing people who talk like that. I just wish they understood what actual persecution in this country felt like.

It made me really happy to see what the democratic candidate said, Bittigieg. To have an openly gay presidential candidate that claims to be a man of faith means everything to me. Cause for so long, i felt like the two were mutually exclusive - that you can't be lgbt and religious.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Buttigieg 2020.

4. GayTurtle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it hard to understand this line of reasoning in any sense whatsoever, it just seems completely non-sensical. Buttigieg is himself clearly very religious. Why in the world would he be attacking people for being christian??? The cynic in me suspect's that this is just a prime example of a persecution complex.

5. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because the Pences use their faith as an excuse for homophobia which was as on full display with his policies. It’s easier to claim to be a victim than to either re-evaluate their own beliefs or acknowledge they have zero right to impose their beliefs on others (which Pete also has talked about...that he represents everyone of all beliefs).

#5 Unsure77, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. smurf

This one is a hard one.

In many ways, we are attacking the way that people view the world.

People who are used to their faith being EVERYWHERE without question are losing that privilege and they perceive it as an attack. Its a hard debate to win because there is no way to compromise. We can't say "okay, fine you get to discriminate just a little".

What we want as lgbt people is for religion to not be used as an excuse to discriminate. Religious people are saying "but my religion says that its wrong, so you making me do things against that belief is going against my religion" which in many ways they are right. In many ways for the first time in a long time we are saying "we don't care if this is against your specific religion, you have to follow the law and suck it up". Christians are not used to that because most of our laws were created to follow the christian bible.

Its not the first time that it has happened though. Many churches didn't want to accept black people into their congregation based on the bible back in the day. At the end, churches had to change whether they liked it or not, but it was a hard push and they didn't do it voluntarily. Same thing will have to happen again.

Its also a hard fight to win though.

In the US, we have various cases of the Supreme Court deciding that religion believes are enough to be able to circumvent the law.

The best case to look at is what they did to contraception. This one company said it didn't want to pay for women's birth control because it was against their religion. Somehow, the supreme court agreed and the company was allowed to stop paying for birth control in their health plans. Its a dangerous precedent for everyone.

#6 smurf, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, the Pence's are wedded to a very narrow, ultra-conservative view of Christianity that flows from a literal interpretation of the Bible. They regard it as the only authentic way (even though it's utterly untenable) and their politics is crafted around that agenda. Buttgeig, on the other hand, seems to appreciate nuance, context and breadth when it comes to the Bible and Christianity, something the Pence's could and would never appreciate, so they prefer to adopt a silly and nonsensical persecution complex and complain about an infringement of their rights and freedoms.

8. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For one thing, I wish they could understand their rights end where other people’s start. For another, I wish they’d discover Matthew Vines. He makes a compelling case for accepting lgbt people even within the framework of a literal interpretation of the Bible.

I may be a little angry on this issue because I’m ex-evangelical and my entire family still is so this is incredibly close to home for me.