1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justice O'Connor Leaving...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confusedkid, Jul 1, 2005.

1. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

If you haven't heard, the first female justice of the United States Supreme Court, Sandra Day O'Connor, has announced her retirement. As a moderate voice on the court, Justice O'Connor did what she felt was right and as having met her twice, I can truly say that she is absolutely brilliant. With her libertarian view of government, she was and would have continued to be instrumental in protecting the rights of ALL the people of the United States against overcontrolling and restrictive government.

I have a feeling that the country will be ripped apart during the next fight over judicial nominees and I hope, though I seriously doubt, that President Bush nominates another person as talented as Justice O'Connor.

As Justice O'Connor was the deciding vote in numerous cases of vital importance, with her gone I seriously worry that Bush will use this vacancy as an attempt to placate his evangelical supporters by appointing a justice more inclined to allow more restrictive abortion laws, less eager to apply the Fourteenth Amendment and provide for equal protection under the law, less eager to restrict government power in regards to the First Amendment in cases dealing with media censorship (read: "decency" laws) and the separation of church and state.

Your thoughts?

2. I think we're all afraid Bush is going to appoint an extreme conservative to replace the moderate Justice O'Connor. I don't think it'll happen b/c the more left-leaning will be stalwartly against that, and I don't think Bush wants to make this whole "judicial nominee" thing more divisive than it's already become. Even if it does happen that we become stuck w/ two Scalia-like conservatives, I really do believe that eventually the Supreme Court - regardless of who's on it - will rule in favor of true justice. All in good time, right? Or so I hope.

3. nisomer

I agree. I'm also afraid that Bush will nominate some very right-winged justices. And just think, what if one of these guys turns out to be the new Cheif Justice? But like Motionmaker said, the congress could deny the nomination, much like they have been doing to that one UN ambassator.

4. goratrix

Ok, since when any court rules in favor of justice? I could talk off personal experience, and I could talk off rumors I've heard, but at least in the few countries I live in, there is no such thing as justice, at least not in court... and SPECIALLY in the supreme court!

5. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Ironically... the Supreme Court in this country is the ONLY place where people have found justice...

6. hawkeye

I half dont think that Bush and his administration dont have the balls to try to put in a proven extreemest. It'll never get pasted, and we will be watching a whole new string of fillibusters.

7. nisomer

I hope what you say is right. Although I heard or read somewhere that Dick Cheney is trying to change the confirmation process of judges. Now, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing because I don't have much information on what he is trying to change, but I would like to learn more, so if any of you have more info, fill me in!