1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just to prove that hicks towns suck...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by emerald, Jul 25, 2007.

1. emerald

Okay so like I said in my introduction thinger whatever, I came out when I was 12. But I guess the details are more interesting than just saying that.

Well like almost everything I did the whole denial thing. I figured out I was gay when I was 10 and got a huge crush on this girl (who was in my gym class in 6th grade >.<) but I just tried to convince myself I was straight or bi at most. So I dated some guys. Maybe it's just the straight ones but they're terrible kissers, anywho. ^.^
    So I met some online people on this thing called Paltalk one summer and they were all all happy and out and all of that. They really helped me get over the denial bit. Thank god for the internet, right?
    And then when I got back to school. And I wanted to tell my friends but I just couldn't. It's terrible trying to just get out three words, isn't it? And lesbian sounded like the ugliest word ever. So I kind of got thinking I would never get around to telling them.
    And that's when they all started asking. o.o My friend Laura was the first, she was at my house and we were in my room when she just randomly said, "Lyssehpoo you're a lesbian, aren't you?" And when I said yes she like squealed and jumped on me going, "I knew it, I knew it."
    And I really wasn't planning on telling anyone else. But then one of the school's bigger gossipy types found out somehow. Which magically fell on Spanish Day (meaning my whole grade was in the gym with nothing to do but talk for an entire day.)
    Now remember, conservative rednecks that generally hate everyone but themselves. So it didn't go over well. It started at about 7:30 am (terrible time to be in school isn't it) I walked by the girl and she said to here friend, "Quick cover up, you don't want the dyke seeing down your shirt." And of course her and the other girl, who I used to get on pretty well with, did. And then my entire grade knew within the hour. And it spread to everyone else in the school. For the most part everyone reacted like that girl and her friend did. Even the teachers.
    And being such a small town, it spread to everyone. Like people I didn't know were giving me funny looks in the local general store. So I just figured I had to tell my parents and everyone or someone else would. I told my mom in a letter and she cried and told me she had already picked out the song she would have played at my wedding. My dad didn't take it too well, but that wasn't too big a deal as we didn't get on all to begin with. And everyone else had a similar reaction.
    But still, I'd totally do it over again. Even if others didn't take it well there were some people who were really supportive who I never would have started talking to. And most of my friends were just as awesome as Laura. Not to mention I felt loads better.
    So there you go, even though it's super long.

2. Jim1454

I'm glad you shared this with us. It really is too bad that so many people react so badly, when in reality it has nothing to do with them! It's YOU that is dealing with the issue, and needs their support and encouragement. I'm glad that your friends have been there for you, even if your family hasn't been. It takes time for them, just as it did for you.

Good luck, and welcome to EC!

3. Psych!

Psych! Guest

yeah, it's the worst feeling when someone acts stupid thinking that because u might be or are gay that u r gonna rape them or try to look at them while they're naked

4. emerald

Well something of the girls here have done some rather interesting things. This one went around telling people I asked her out. But she stopped when I told her that if she kept telling people that I really was going to start hitting on her.
    Oh well. They're not exactly peachy people to begin with. My friend, JayTee or Jimmy or whatever he uses on here, he can tell you. He's in the closet but he still gets it for being in the GSA.

5. MateoBoi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Although you posted this almost a year ago, your anecdote is insightful, personal,and, if anything, encouraging. Thank you for sharing... Though your words and mine are seperated by time, you've still managed to make me think. . .

6. Sam

Sam

I can completely understand about the town you live in being homophobic. I live in the bible belt, Oklahoma is so homophobic. I eventually got a "if you don't like it who cares" attitude and it has made it easier because I really don't care what people think about me (its harder to have that attitude with family though)

Anyway congrats on being out and it looks like most of your friends are supportive.

7. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

stories like this make me happy im in a larger city.

8. Yeah there was this guy in my politics class who was half homophobic according to him (he didnt like gay men but liked lesbians), he said the reason why he didn't like gay men was the thought that they might try it on with him.

>.< and no matter how many times we told him that gay men wouldn't hit on a straight guy because there'd be no point, he still didn't like them. But then one of my mates said "Mate, don't flatter yourself! There no danger of THAT happening..."

That shut him up lol

___

on topic, its horrible when that happens, when you're foreced to come out before someone else outs you, especially with parents. But I'm glad to hear its all worked out now!
    x

~photosaurusrex

9. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so annoying! I hate that! It's like, "shut up, you conceited bastard. I don't think you look good, and even if I did, I wouldn't do that!"