1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just some thoughts about being openly gay...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aaren, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Aaren

I wrote here on forums some time ago about being confused about my sexuality. I realised I am a lesbian. One part of me is relieved, like I put some things off my chest, but other parts of me are like freaking out.

I was in a long term relationship with a guy before. And I left him. But not for being a lesbian. Just didn't work out. After the break up I came out as bisexual and came out to couple of my friends and some other people because they publicly saw me with a girl. I was with some girls but I didn't have any very serious relationship so far.

But I'm in my mid 20s and I plan to have a more serious girlfriend of course. So it hit me that I will have to come out to a lot of people that still don't know that I like girls. I do give hints to people so that I can check how comfortable are about the idea of me or someone being gay. I still feel like I need to be very careful to whom I disclose myself.

I haven't had any particular bad experience about it. When I hint to people that I am or may be gay I almost never received any bad reaction but sometimes I'm still paranoid. Like I didn't see many gay people holding hands together. I remember the day when gay marriages where excepted here and I saw two couples holdings hands together, one couple of lesbians and one of gays :slight_smile: and there were two ladies I saw some time ago, but that is all. Do you feel reserved about holding hands with your partner in public? What does it mean to be openly gay? Do you dare to be on the beach with your partner and cuddle with them in front of people?

2. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've found it much easier to cuddle in public, hold hands and stuff than to say it out loud. For example if someone asked what I did during the weekend it's always easier to say I did something with my friend. But I never hesitated to kiss my girl in public.

3. Juli

I'm not fully out, but I hint at people too. Like, last month was gay pride month and I said something along the lines of "We don't have a day or a week, but a whole MONTH". The key word being "We". I'd been making rainbow flowers for all of my friends, gay or straight, to celebrate it. I also went to a gay pride rally with a close friend of mine (also a lesbian), and casually brought it up a couple of times. A couple of people looked at me a little wierd, but nobody said anything. It's a process of taking baby steps for me, and that's how I'm comfortable.

4. CraikNakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like if you're not comfortable with what people will think it can be kinda weird but once I got past that I don't care at all! I'd love to cuddle and hold hands in public, even make out:eusa_danc it's so great and I don't care what people think and it makes me happy! So if it makes me happy and im the main character in my life then I don't care! I just try to do what makes me happy. Besides if im with my man then imma be cuddling, holding, lovin him hella because im spending time with him and that's and I am very affectionate

5. || Kheya ||

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a really shy person when it comes to showing affection publicly. So, no holding hands in public for me! We used to hang out in public places though but as if we were 'friends', like no touching or anything. we just used to enjoy the presence of each other (if that makes sense)!

I live in a small town. Rumors spread faster than fire here! I'm not out yet but my friends doubt it sometimes. So, basically I won't know being out affects or supports you in anyway. But some of my friends who are out, they are always like 'who cares? it's my life, my choice of how I want it to be!' and surprisingly, people stopped bothering about their sexuality or being out. I think they are able to enjoy their life to the fullest :slight_smile: