1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just realized my blackhead picking is actually a form of self harm.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bree, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Bree

When I'm stressed/depressed/overtired (and I'm all three right now, it's almost five in the morning) I rip my face apart. I begin picking at obvious small pimples, and the longer I stand in front of the mirror the more I branch out into any pore over my face/ chest/shoulders/back that might be slightly blocked. I space out, and often spend over two hours picking everything I can find, until my face is crisscrossed with red lines where my fingernails dug in and irritated splotches around the pores. I can't even fully cover the redness with two layers of foundation. After a few days the skin starts to peel everywhere I've damaged it, and flakes off--which makes it even more difficult to cover.

Cutting my fingernails used to help prevent it, because it hurt to pick when they were fresh and sharp, but I don't even notice anymore. I don't know how to stop. Any advice? Does anyone else have a similar problem?

*I chew the callouses on my fingers when I'm stressed too.

2. Sapphy

I've heard that trying to keep the hands busy will help. If you feel that urge to pick, read a book or do a crossword, something to keep your mind and hands busy.

Could you write yourself a note to stick on your mirror which will help stressed/depressed/overtired you think twice? Maybe just a reminder like 'Go and read a book instead' or something similar.

3. Mrcake

Did you know that this is a form of OCD? I have had this same problem and still do, but it is less severe. This is OCD because it effects your life. :bang: I find when I do this stuff, I have to point it out to myself and I have to consciously make an effort to stop doing this. I do this primarily with acne and itching my back before sleeping --- Idk why I have done this, but I am getting rid of the problem. Just try doing something to get your mind off of this and also go to bed >.< It sucks but you will eventually stop doing it. :thumbsup:

4. IrishEyes1989

Aww Bree, I'm sorry you're feeling bogged down. In this past week, I can relate very much to those feelings (*hug*) I too pick at blackheads. In the past few years, since I went away to uni, the pores on my nose got so big. They used to be practically invisible in my teenage years. I hate to admit my mother is right, but she tells me "It's probably because of all the junk food you ate in residence.." lol. Anyway, getting back to the point. Have you tried any treatments to help reduce the frequency of your blackheads? If you find a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer system that you really like, that can help a lot. Also, there are prescription creams like Clindoxyl Gel, which I'm currently using, that contain benzoyl peroxide and other active acne fighting chemicals. They help to reduce the amount of oil produced by your sebaceous glands, resulting in fewer blackheads, smaller pores, and less oily skin.

In terms of the actual act of picking at them, I can't say that my own is compulsive, the way yours sounds. What I would suggest is that you visit your GP and talk to them about the problem. They will be able to recommend plans of action for you as well as prescribe one of those creams if you need one.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I used to do this until I realised that yes, I was doing it as a form of self-harm. I stopped soon after. I only pick now if there is a pimple that is ready to be popped. Finding something to do other than this, that takes your mind off it, really helps

6. Jubalinha

Jubalinha Guest

Hi. it seems ocd combined with self harm. i have ocd and used to be a cutter. My ocd is now a 4 but used to be between 9 and 10. what i do now when i have an obsessive thought that i have to do something i start repeating to myself mentally: i dont have to that and its not gonna bother me. then i try to do something else to distract me. Im sorry you having a bad time. I hope you get better soon.

7. TheStranger

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Reading the original post made me realise that I'm doing the exact same thing at the moment, and have been doing so for years. I'm obviously not happy that people have this issue, and I hope that it all gets better for you soon, but now I realise what I'm doing I think I may be able to stop myself. I didn't realise how bad it was until someone else brought it up.