1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just like Harry Potter

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Dec 15, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok... um nerd alert! Guys, bear with me because this is really, actually the way my brain works, I'm about to share the inner workings of my head and what it reveals is that I'm either slowly going mad or I'm really just a 12 year old deep down... hopefully this will be at least mildly entertaining or maybe someone can relate to my very weird logic? :slight_smile:

So I've been having trouble focusing st work. And I came back from lunch today thinking, I'm just damn overwhelmed. I mean life has beeen one massive overhaul for 2 1/2 years with added twists and turns and challenges. Back at my desk I felt my focus waning again, so I decided to take a break, a few deep breaths, shake it off and get back to work.

And as I'm trying to let all the inner noise die down I was thinking all these things that feel so complicated in my life, they're just what my life is now, it doesn't matter how I got here, all the things that exist in my present just are what they are, there are things that bring joy, things that bring pain, things that are wonderful and beautiful, things that are difficult and stressful. Then randomly I thought, you know just like in Harry Potter.... "huh?" My brain asked itself, and then it all made sense... :slight_smile: :grin:

...it's like when you read Harry Potter you suspend disbelief, you put yourself into the fictional world and accept it for what it is, which would be something helpful in my own sense of disbelief in my life when I think things like how the hell did i get *here* when just three years ago I was just this average frustrated empty wife and mum living a fairly ordinary life, how did I end up here with all of these things that feel so foreign and unfamiliar and just different from my life vision? But it doesnt matter that Hagrid plucked Harry out of the muggle world or that I had this one pivotal moment of right, I'm gay, and then everything just changed, rapidly and in extraordinary ways...

And Harry before entering the wizarding world, spent his years living in his broom closet (had to go there), but then once in the wizarding world, his world opened up and there he was living, *really* living, making real friends, taking risks, growing and becoming a full person. And this step out of the closet is much the same, it's a step into a reality with colour and life and connections and meaning and potential for real joy and the ability to reach our full potential.

But again just like the wizarding world, this new world we live in,I live in, it has its own rich and real and raw ups and downs, heartaches and joys,some really painful things, some incredibly wonderful things, battles, fears, but also bigger wins, bigger potential for love and life. And my life it has its own new set of rules, my reality, this new normal, has me with a daughter, an ex husband, a new partner, friends that overlap my new and old life, two little boys that are becoming like stepsons, groups and networks in the LGBT community, a family overseas, new family I'm building...

I know this is very bizarre, and s bit hilarious, but this has made me feel oddly relaxed, to think of it all this way. Guys, what's the verdict, slowly losing my mind? Infinite 12 year old?

#1 baristajedi, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. Optimist17

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol! You might just be my favorite user on this forum. This is a fantastic metaphor, and I love it. It also means that all lgbt people are wizards, and I thoroughly enjoy that plot bunny.

baristajedi likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Makes complete sense to me, but I did go to the midnight book releases dressed as Hermione Granger, so might not be the best judge.

You're not alone in relating life back to Harry Potter. In the past I have seriously contemplated 'What would Harry Potter do?' as a way of thinking through a situation. Not about my sexuality though, perhaps that's where I'm going wrong...

baristajedi and Butterflies85 like this.
  4. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... smh... lol I can't help but laugh our loud on that one.. because it works! lol the wizarding world has fairys... come on, that's just funny :grin: hehe.. anyway, DA here. went to one of the midnight book releases but didn't dress up :/ any way, YES everything actually relates back to harry potter. Side note, DO NOT BUY Harry Potter and the Cursed Child... Completely a let down... I feel it was almost a waste of my time.

baristajedi and LostInDaydreams like this.
  5. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great analogy! Love it!!

baristajedi likes this.
  6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to up your game.

I second this...I just pretend it doesn't exist.

baristajedi and HelpLOL like this.
  7. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you see the play though, I thought it was brilliant. Think I feel a Harry Potter movie marathon coming on!

baristajedi likes this.
  8. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haven't seen the play, I think the book might of ruined it for me. I was hoping it was going to be a real book in the series, but alas .. Nope The book just sucks.
    We've been doing a slow marathon with the kids, unfortunately they're starting to get too scary for the little ones. We'll just keep bringing them out every year or two until they've seen them all. heh

baristajedi likes this.
  9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I am jealous now. I did try to get tickets, but I'd need to stay over and my partner wouldn't be interested, so I don't think it'd work.

Have you been to the studio tour? Brilliant. Yes, lets all watch the films!!

baristajedi likes this.
  10. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes been to the tour, it was good, not sure how much longer it will be open for though. Would love to go to the Harry Potter theme park in Orlando but will just have to keep dreaming for that one!

11. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's awesome how there are gay metaphors everywhere! Not just Frozen anymore but also Harry Potter. Thanks for finding this angle!

12. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a themed area at Universal Studios Hollywood theme park near Los Angeles, California. " it was pretty sweet and very $$ the cost of wands ... just crazy lol

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  13. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a total HP nerd as well and LOVE this correlation you have drawn between these worlds. I am not out yet living authentically - but when I dream about what my life could be like, I see it this way. Like stepping into another world. It's like when I had my daughter, I stepped into the parenting world. It's incredible how you can see kids and think you know what it's like but until you actually catch the hogwarts express to parentville you realise you had no idea. I feel like being out of the closet will be the same experience.

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey Jedi, makes sense to me too. but i think the biggest part there is the suspension off belief/disbelief and just accept that we are here, we are who we've grown to be, we are wizards, we are mystical, we make our own magic.

baristajedi likes this.
  15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys my phone broke and I wasn't able to post! It's better now, so I'll be back soon :grin:

looking for me likes this.