1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just had a close call with my parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by choirsmash, Jan 31, 2015.

1. choirsmash

Ok I haven't told my parents yet and I really don't plan on doing that any time soon. We were just talking about scholarships I applied for and the one required a 500 word essay on someone who has had a significant influence on my life. Well I wrote about the only person I'm out to and had to mention it in the essay. My dad was like well did you send it in and I said yeah and then he started freaking out because they didn't read the essay I sent. So my mom (bless her soul) was like wait didn't you send it that essay you wrote in like 10th grade as an assignment and I just said yep. We had to write a college essay in 10th grade, most useful thing I've ever done in school haha. So she explained that my teacher had already read it and said I could send it to colleges. I'm so glad she thought of that because I was not ready to explain 1) that I'm not straight, 2) why I didn't want to tell them, and 3) that I don't know what I am yet.

2. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't rush to come out, whenever you feel ready. Im kind of glad someone outed me to my mom. I hope you get that scholarship.

3. choirsmash

I feel so weird keeping this from my parents (especially my mom) but I can't do it and I'm not even close to ready. I kinda think that maybe on some level they know. Thanks! This scholarship goes up to full tuition so that would be awesome

4. Polemarch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't need to feel rush. I haven't come out to my parents yet and I've come to accept that when it happens it happens. Life has a way of working itself out, its crazy sometimes. Right now just care about what is in front of you. Before I've realized this I was often anxious and worried that my parents will disown me or kick me out of the house. I would act out to make sure my parents don't have time to consider me being a lesbian. But when I finally realized that I am wasting my time and energy on worrying about something that I have no control over (how my parents feel about LGBT), I started thinking about what I can do as of now to make myself feel good and what is more important. And nothing is more important then accepting yourself and feeling good about oneself.

Currently, I just act the way I want to act around my parents. I usually keep any LGBT remarks to myself since my parents are pretty traditional. Sometimes they call me out, that I don't act like a feminine girl and act like a guy. I just look at them and I straight up say "Well, that's how you guys raised me." I dress the way I want, I do the things I want and I talk the way I want. My hobbies are my hobbies, not theirs.

I hope I made some sense hahaha I'm not that articulate with words, sorry about that. But as of now, don't rush into something you are not ready for. You will know when the time is right. Life will let you know. Good luck on your scholarship!!