1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just came out to my husband and looking for a film-documentary on the subject

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by barbara, Oct 18, 2020.

1. barbara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,
    I have just come out to my husband and he took it very well considering we have been together since high school (36 years ago). I was talking to him about a movie-documentary in which 4 or 5 or 6 women explain how they came out to their husbands and children. It shows the hardhsips they went through. You see the women explain how they decided to tell their husbands, their families, find new friendships... It moved me to tears when I saw it and I remember thinking "I have to tell my husband".
    Does anyone know the title of the film?
    Thank you.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have an answer, but one of the resources we tend to forget about are librarians. This is the sort of question a good librarian at a decent sized library may know off of the top of his or her head, and if not, these folks are wizardly in their ability to conjure up information like that from almost nothing provided.

3. barbara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you think I can log onto a librarian site and ask? I am an American living in France and there are no films in libraries here.
    Thank you for your reply. I was hoping it was a well-known documentary. It was very moving.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! Congratulations on coming out to your husband; it's wonderful that he took it so well.

In terms of the documentary, the library might be a good starting place. Trying to speak with a librarian is a good idea.

Do you know by chance in what era and in which country the film/documentary was set? When did you see the documentary?

5. barbara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    Thank you for your message. We are going slowly because I understand that he needs time but I am relieved.
    the film is American. It is set in the 2000s (maybe 2010s) but I am not sure. I remember one woman saying how she was living at the time in South America and she told him before having an affair because it was important for her to be honest but she finally did have an affair without telling him and he slapped her. There was another woman who was kissed in an outdoor jacuzzi and realized immediately that it was who she was. She left her house and two children. She describes how hard it was for her daughter but that after a few years (this was in New York City) her daughter understood. Another woman describes how she fell in love with a woman who refused to touch her so long as she was still married. It took them 8 years to finally get their situation all settled.
    it was an extremely moving documentary. I remember I cried a lot and thought that I would never be able to do it.
    I saw it on amazon prime I think but I also have Netflix and OCS. I live in France so the program might not be the same as in the US. I contacted the customer service but they couldn't find it.
    I talked about the film-documentary to my husband and we would like to watch it together.
    Thanks to anybody who can help. And if you haven't seen it and we do find the title in the end, it is a very good documentary to watch as it shows these married women struggling to do what is best.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If, when you were living in the US, you lived in a decent sized city, I'd start with the main library in whatever city you lived in. My experience is they are very free with their help, even if you aren't registered as one of their patrons.

7. barbara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately I don't.
    I am hoping someone has seen this and will post a reply.
    Thank you and take care!