1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just been on a date with a girl and I don't know how I feel

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Japes, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Japes

I just watched Call Me By Your Name with a girl I've recently been seeing (a very sexual film). About half way through the film I imagined holding her hand and it made my heart beat so fast so I built up the courage and we held each other for the rest of the film. At the end of the date we didn't kiss but as I walked away I felt so emotional I almost cried. Now that I'm back home, I don't particularly miss her though I had a lovely evening.

Im so very confused, I wish I were one of those people who know what they want but I find it so hard to identify what I'm feeling about a situation or person. i just have no idea. I fantasise about boys but never in a romantic way and its the opposite with girls. When I spend time with someone I think I like or dont like it never feels as good or bad as I think it will. I really don't understand and I'm scared that I'm never going to be able to actually fall in love with someone, it's just going to be confusion forever.

I'm 17 btw, which might mean that it'll get easier and I hope it will because this makes me feel so tired and sad sometimes. Is this a common way to feel? all of my friends seem to just know when they are attracted to someone and I dont understand how. It makes me feel so alone. I dont really want to be single forever but in a weird way i kind of do just because it would be so much easier.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think it will get easier as you get older and understand your thoughts and feelings better. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself to think you should feel one way or another. For me it takes a while to get to know someone before I can truely start to like them so maybe you can go on some more dates with this girl, assuming you want to and then see how you feel about her after that. Just don't feel pressured into doing anything you don't want to or to test yourself.

Japes likes this.
  3. scifiname

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i did not expect to come here and find so many relatable threads in .2 seconds. but seriously, i know how you feel. i was just crying in the bathroom a minute ago because i had the exact thought that i was scared of never falling in love but that it would be so much easier. i've also had the same heart-beating, sweaty palm feeling with people, and i've been in love with people before (but i've never dated someone, as soon as things start getting serious i lose all feeling). im not sure how i feel about guys or girls, but i'll just focus on girls for now. i'll get a major crush on a girl and then it'll just stop, and i don't know what that means. i'm only 19, and every time i talk about this people tell me how we won't know until we know (which means until we find someone we feel strongly about), and that sexuality is so difficult for women because we're brought up believing that our worth is tied to our desirability to men, and that women can get power by being attractive to men, etc., so that it's totally normal to be 100% confused and feelingless and numb when thinking about everyone because it just takes longer for us to figure it out.

Japes and rosemarythyme like this.
  4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Newbies give good advice! You have been thinking about this, apparently. I predict a good life for you.

5. scifiname

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha, sweet! Hope you're right!

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming to terms with sex and sexuality is an incredibly powerful thing, whatever your gender or orientation. It's a great unknown and the world bombards you with a range of expectations, from the most wonderful sensation of love and belonging to the deepest feelings of shame and rejection. Given all that, I think it's incredibly common for people to be overwhelmed with their first experiences. There's a great chance that your expectations -good or bad- won't be matched exactly and you can find yourself experiencing every emotion possible, all at once.
    Someone once told me that we cry for two reasons, confusion or fear and whether that's right or wrong I like to believe it. For whatever reason, it seems that when you cry it really helps to make sense of things, balance your emotions and overcome fear, so if that's what you need right now then let yourself do it. If it feels right for you then it's normal.

Most importantly, I would add that it usually helps to discuss these feelings, especially if you think that an otherwise healthy emotion is becoming too overwhelming. In other words, if you feel that you may be depressed or suffering unusual anxiety, it's important to ask for support.

There may even come a time in your life when you look back on these days and wish you could experience these emotions over again.

Japes likes this.