1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just a thought...

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Techcompu2, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Techcompu2

2. Shevanel

I saw this on 60 minutes, it looks pretty scary, damn 14 year old Russian Hackers...

3. Colly

I've heard about this virus, but at work (I'm a Computer Technician), we just think it's a hoax, but we're prepared for a flood of calls, just in case.

I figured that I might post a few tips to help keep yourself protected, or at least limit the impact of the infection if you're unlucky enough to get it.

Firstly and most importantly, perform a full backup of all of your important data. It doesn't really matter how you do it, or what you back-up too, as long as you have saved your data. If something does happen, at least you have your stuff.

Secondly, Check your Anti-Virus. An out-of-date Anti-Virus application is almost as bad as having nothing at all. You may also want to check how long you have remaining on your Anti-Virus subscription, because if that has expired, you will definitely be out of date.
    If this is the case, it will be in your best interests to download an Anti-Virus program. Some free ones are;

AVG Free 8.5
    ESET Nod32 4.0 (30 Day Trial)

Now. You have checked your anti-virus status, but you can do more to help keep yourself protected. Most Anti-Virus applications (in my experience) don't always catch everything relating to Malware/Spyware. You may want to download some of these apps just in case.

CCleaner 2.18
    CCleaner Clears out temporary internet files, deletes web browsing history, and clears temporary system files. This tool helps you reclaim disk space, but also clears out the Temp. Internet Files, where some viruses do hide, which si why this tool is useful.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Mailware is just that - Anti-Malware. It is better at removing rather nasty Torjans and Spyware/Malware applications because unlike Anti-Virus programs, it corrects and removes registry keys that have been modified, created or deleted by the offending malware.

Super Anti-Spyware
    Super Anti-Spyware is much like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but Has better chances at removing rootkits.

Spyware Doctor Starter Edition
    Again, much like the last two, but scans rather quickly.

Now, you may be asking "Why download the last three applications if they all do the same thing?". The answer is simple - no program will pick up EVERYTHING. having a bit of variety can help. Make sure you update all of these applications before you run them.

Running these applications is somewhat straight-forward. But if you have any issues trying to use them, or require any assistance, PM me and I'll be more than glad to help.

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    NOD32 is the best Pay antivirus program around. I do not care for AVG 8, however I recommend the following free antivirus programs:
    Avast: http://www.avast.com/
    Avira Antivir: http://www.free-av.com/

Avast has a boot time scan that's good at removing very persistant bugs.

I also second the votes for MBAM and SAS. I like MBAM because it's installable and updatable without an internet connection and from safemode. Allowing it to fix fairly crippled systems. Sometimes you have to use its fix at restart option.

A third recommendation would be to completely remove Autorun from your system. It's the infection vector that Conflicker C, and other malware use.

5. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This sounds pretty scary, though like Colly said, it's been well publicised for it to happen, or to be that bad (though I know that it can get that bad XD)

I use Norton, another Pay antivirus and system protection program, which is great at keeping anything out and removing anything that gets in. It updates daily and it's simple to use; just keep it ticking away in the background.

Best advice I can think of is to stay off the internet tomorrow and update Norton before I get back on :S

#5 Rosina, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with that. I use Eset NOD32 myself and recommend it to all business clients. For home users who don't want to spend money I go for Avast Home Free.

AVG is rubbish (it only detects viruses, not adware, spyware, malware, rootkits....). I have had to sort out several PCs running AVG with all sorts of unwanted crap running.

[​IMG]

ESET NOD32 is on the left, AVG is on the right. Which would you trust?