1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

joining a youth support group...?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by staries, Aug 15, 2017.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hiya! so i've been looking at this website for a local lgbt+ youth group on and off for about a year now and wanting to be apart of it, but i can't bring myself to go. i'm afraid i'll be judged (how ironic is that?), or that no one will like me, or that i'll be the only trans person there. i'm also afraid because i'll have to meet and get to know new people, how can i get over these fears and being myself to a meeting ?

2. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had some anxiety over joint a queer club at my school, and I forced myself to go by telling a handful of people I was going. Since they thought I was going and supported me going, I felt pressured into going, and so I went. I definitely do not regret it. :slight_smile:

If you put your best foot forward and be yourself, then you have a good chance at making friends. The people there probably also want to make friends.

The club I joined had people from all kinds of letters from the LGBT+ alphabet soup. It's awesome. Everyone always does their best at staying respectful, even with people's identies that people aren't so familiar with. Most people there know what it's like to be around insensitive and sometimes rude comments, so people are pretty chill. You should totally give it a shot. LGBT+ groups can be a great way to make friends and to learn more about yourself. And, anywho, what's the worst thing that can happen? If they're jerks, you can just never return to their group and move on.

Good luck! :slight_smile: