1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job hunting makes me insanely anxious and depressed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jared, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Jared

So I'm graduating college in June, computer science major, and I've been trying to find a job. The problem is that nearly anything related to job searching will make me nervous as hell. There have been times where I've just looked at job listings and nearly had a panic attack, I ended up laying in bed for hours crying and feeing like shit. I had an interview last week and I was almost sweating through my suit due to nervous and I feel my face getting red, I'm sure they could tell I was nervous as fuck. I felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack the whole time, I felt nauseous and as soon as I left and I got back in my car I started crying.

This anxiety is making it so hard to find a job and I'm scared to death I won't be able to find one. I've done mock interviews and I'm fine in those just not in the real thing. I have no idea what to do and I've been feeling really depressed over it. I literally haven't left bed yet today and it's past noon. :tears::tears: I feel so helpless

2. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Take a deep breath. Release.

I'm no expert. I have just recently tried coming to terms with my own anxiety over the last couple of years. But I can tell you that dealing with it is no easy task. Overcoming it seems impossible. Thats because being anxious is natural. It is just the extent and when and where it appears that can get out of hand.

Let's see... I took two years of counselling until I decided that I needed something more. I was in a difficult position in my life last year and it was interfering with my ability to function. So with counselling I went to my doctor and got prescribed medication to deal with my anxiety.

It helps lower my anxious reactions to more normal and manageable levels.

Im NOT saying medication is the answer or even counselling. I'm saying you have options.

Perhaps you already have been down this road, but I find seeking professional help has made great changes in my life. I'm not perfect or cured. I will probably be dealing with my anxious tendencies all my life. But I'm better prepared for them so they don't control my life.

In more immediate concerns job searching
    . Try being in most relaxed conditions possible when searching. Maybe music and a comfortable chair. Plan ahead when you want to do the searches and set time limits. No exact goals of like I must find X number of listings applicable to me. Small steps. A little every day, try not to procrastinate because you will just get more anxious.

As for the interviews... Trickier because you have less control over the environment. I know you have said practice interviews have gone well, but more practice won't hurt. The more real interviews you do the easier it can be. In your mind go over the interviews thinking how you could of relaxed more or pinpoint what was the biggest worry. But if this make you too anxious going over it in your head just stop.

Remember your anxiety is not who you are, it is just something in your way you have to push back!

3. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    heres what helps me and ill tell u what dude ive landed every job ive applyed for..first off make a resume and job hunt online like indeed jobs then u have a job interview u have to put it in ur mind that u dont give a fuk if u get the job or not cuz theyre the ones who are missing out for not hiring YOU...before u interview google interview questions and study them and have answers lined up..good luck